Quaife ATB = amazing!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by GVK, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I got my gancy Hotgolf racing box in the back of the ven - CHEERS MARTIN! [:D]

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Got the 'box back in last weekend, seems better than before, no leaks, just hope it stays together this time as feeling a bit paranoid on every gear change[:$]

Looking forward to Donington next weekend [:D]

3. prof Forum Addict

GAry how about a review, evo style, on the new box

4. GVK

Hmm, my typing finger is a bit rusty as I've been without a PC for a few weeks, at Claire's at the mo.

Summary :

Car accelerates MUCH better, esp in 5th

Car grips like sh!t to a blanket esp on wet roundabouts.

Mind over matter required, still can't get my head round being able to plant the throttle mid bend and get no ( or very little) understeer [:D]

And a big thumbs up to Vince for a free session on the rollers this morning to make up for the hassle with the 'box :thumbup:
    Edited by: G_V_K

5. GVK

Prof empty your PM box I need to send dynoplot files

http://hocheichen.free.fr/images/dynoplots/

Annoyed, I didn't get the print outs on paper, and can't get the dynoplot software to work on this pc [:x]
    Edited by: G_V_K

6. prof Forum Addict

Gary 1990 had been keeping a car in my inbox, just set fire to it so there should be some room now, send away,

7. GVK

8. GVK

9. kevhaywire New Member

Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but it came up on a Google Search for VW Quaife ATB diffs.....

I really want to get moving on my Quaife and 3.61 diff but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with Stealth at the moment, so who is this Martin chap? Can he remove and refit boxes aswell as rebuilding them?

Cheers

Kev

10. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I can, but you'd save a bit by doing it yourself to be honest matey. Its not hard to do and doesn't take long either.
    PM if you wanna chat mate. :p

11. GVK

Ahh mr Haywire :) You're after an ATB in the 'raddo VR then?

As an update, my gearbox is back at Stealth as 5th gear has failed this time, getting a 3.89 FD, which unfortunately is on back order from VAG [8(]

12. kevhaywire New Member

Hotgolf, cheers mate, I'll send a PM shortly :)

Gary, yes mate going for an ATB! Somewhat concerned about your experiences with your gearbox to be honest! I've had two 020 builds done by Vince, one was perfect, the other dumped it's oil 50 miles down the road. The output shaft seal got splitduring reassembly, which wrote the new clutch off aswell.

I called Vince about my requirements a week ago but nothing has been progressed asyet, hence enquiring about Martin/Hotgolf :)

It's over a grand's worth so I only want to do it once!!

Cheers

Kev

13. GVK

Yep, ideally you only want the job done once, but looking at it from the other side of the fence, the 2Y 16v gearbox I took in to be rebuilt I paid 50 for and didn't know a thing about it's history and condition.

Ok, the bearings and seals were replaced and a Quaife ATB fitted, ok the gears etc can be inspected to a certain extent but it's more or less impossible to say if a 14 year old gear/other gearbox component that's had 'some ted' in it's life will last or not. My car gets a lot of hard use which really doesn't help matters either . [:s] [8(]

Mart's done quite a few 'boxes for people on here , he'll look after you.
    Edited by: GVK

14. kevhaywire New Member

Fair point. Mine's an 02A which isa little more robust than the 020 and it has a known history.

Unfortunately Mart is in Wales (& I'm in East Anglia!) and I can't take the box out as it's my only car and used daily, plus I don't have any facilities to remove the box either....so it has to be a drive-in, drive-out service. After speaking to Mart on PM, his pricing and knowledge inspired a lot of confidence, but I need this doing before June really, so it'sa shame I can't sample his work.

Bloomin cars....starting to wonder if I can be bottomd now. It's gonnaaday's paygone+ 525 (diff) + 100 (fitting kit)+ 550 (box rebuild) + ??? (labour and VAT). Is it really worth it?

EDIT: Love the swear filter btw [:D] can't be bottomd, LOL!!

Edited by: kevhaywire