Quietest exhaust system MK3 GTI 16V

Discussion in 'Engines' started by garfayliu, Feb 12, 2006.

1. TomGTi Forum Member

Are those Angel Eyes on your car mate?

2. garfayliu Forum Member

Why are you going for Miltek Phil, if you say Supersprint are the way forward?

3. TomGTi Forum Member

Anyone else finding their exhaust settling in and making less noise than when it was new? That seems to be the case with mine

4. gtidriver Forum Member

looks like I better give my 10 pence woth...
    After loosing my back box of my original system I decided to go SS! for the quality, look and sound (any more power would be a bonus) The VW back box for a mk3 8V was 76! so I thought another couple of hundred and i can get a SS system from the cat back. I looked at all the manufacturer's and thought sod taking my new box of SS to some kwick fit fitter to balls up and charge me 4 the pleasure I found a company called Longlife exhaust systems in Thournbury, Bristol http://www.longlife.co.uk/ They were very helpful and as it is custom made I could tick a box for either a sporty tone, a moderately sporty tone or the quiet option and about 30 tail pipes to choose from.
    I went mid tone with an option to come back after breaking it in and change the tone if i wasn't happy! Driving home with a big grin on my face whilst driving down the A38 with all the windows open!! i must say i made a good choice and can highly recommend! I will say it can be a bit annoying on the motorway but around town and a roads it sounds great!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  5. clarkwgriswold New Member

Hi all,

Sorry to cut in to the thread so late, but I need to replace the standard exhaust on my 8v mk3 gti, and this thread served only to confuse me more rather than help me out!

I've gt my eye on this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JETEX-SPORTS-...ryZ38786QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but being a bit of a newbie I'm not sure what else I need to get. The description is half system, but there don't seem to be any 'full systems' around. Also, how much noisier will this exhaust be over my standard one? I do a lot of motorway driving so I can't have it humming too loudly.

andy

Last edited: Apr 22, 2006
  6. garfayliu Forum Member

Hey Andy.. a full system will include a CAT which are rather expensive, especially if you get a performance high flow catalytic convertor, extra 300+. The link you've provided there is alright, 3 silencer boxes, except the main back box is not stainless steel, which is recommended as it will last longer.

You've probably read from the previous posts that the Jetex system isn't too loud, nor intrusive, but it will be more noticable than factory exhaust.

7. Vdubbster Forum Member

JETEX - Mines all sorted now ;- ) Loving it

8. starbubble82 Forum Member

I was after a stainless steel backbox & ended up buying a secondhand magnex twin 3" & how dissapoinred am i? I wanted something to make some noise & this is just about as quiet as the original, don't get me wrong i did'nt want it too loud to wake the neighbours just some moderate noise. So im gonna change it now so i take it jetex is the best or custom made?

9. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Sorry mate - forgot about this thread. I'm getting the Miltek cheap. ;)

10. garfayliu Forum Member

Nice one Phil.. I think I'm going to go down the Miltek route too, after reading peoples comments. The only reason why I didn't go Miltek in the first place, was that they don't do a 'proper' twin tail pipe back box, with two pipes, rather than one that splits into two.

But only got 4 weeks to go until Inters... not sure if I'll have time or money to get my 16V all sorted out! Need new wheels, slamming and a good valet!

11. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Got a baby due in a few days, so car's have been shoved to the side for the mo'. How did you get on with that chip? :)

12. garfayliu Forum Member

Hey Guys, what do you think of this quotation I got from The TT Shop near Bedford?

Milltek Cat-back stainless steel twin-jet exhaust system 335 + 70 fitted, ~400 in total. I'm not sure if it's possible or not to fit myself without a set of ramps.

13. Tony20VTurbo Forum Member

You will need a set of ramps, otherwise its very difficult!

mates scorpion on his car is WAY too loud, and i ha da jetex system on my last car which was very good!

but when speaking to Stealth Racing and TSR, they recommended Supersprint, but thing is, why is the Superspint so expensive? on the TSR site it's 386!!

i think its down to the quality, as alot of people rave about Supersprint and it fits like a glove apparently

14. garfayliu Forum Member

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've just picked up a Milltek SS CAT-back exhaust system cheap. Need to get it fitted now! How much did you guys pay to have yours done, and how picky where with telling the mechanics to fit it so that the tail pipes sit perfectly?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  15. Jon-MK3-16v Forum Member

Paid about 50 to get mine fitted by Stealth racing. Could of had it fitted cheaper elsewhere, but wanted it done properly. Took them about an hour and a half to get it sitting right, and without causing the heatshield to rattle.

16. garfayliu Forum Member

Nice one, I got quoted about 1.5hours too, at 32/hour (not sure if that's inc VAT) or not. Will have to remember to ask them to take a look at the heat shield as there's some rattle with existing system.

17. tom8v New Member

Vdubbster what did you have done to cure the rattle? it seems my middle box on my new jetex system is knocking against the heatshield. thanks in advance

18. Vdubbster Forum Member

A rite pain mate...

ok, once the engine/manifold/cat i dont know which heats up - the exhaust would move back about an inch - THus hitting the rear axel and making the loudest BANG/RATTLE

So I had to loosen the exhaust clips, and using a plastic mallet - tap the whole system further forwards (so the tail pipe doesnt stick out as much)

Great ... I thought ......

SO after that when i was hot again, another part would tap something else.......[:x] [:x]

SO i looked under the system once hot..... and it was the clip holding the backbox in place- this was hitting on the exhaust mount/rubber comming from the chasis....

So i removed the box, took off the metal hanger and i could see where the clip had been hiting it.. It made a rite good mark, SO I had to hacksaw that part of the hanger off!!!! :o

Put it all back together and since then its all good... Touch wood

:clap: But in general this exhaust system is a nightmare to fit, everything is so tight......

Madness. . .

19. garfayliu Forum Member

Still haven't got around to fitting my Milltek system, anyway quick question:

Do I need a reducer pipe to fit between the straight thru Milltek pipe and the back of the CAT? the Milltek system is 2.25" in diameter, not sure if thats the inner diameter or outter though.

20. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

Should go striaght on if it's a cat back system. Get a new sleeve clamp for joining the two parts of the exhaust together( about 10 from VW), and slide it over the end of your Milltek. If it fits the Milltek then you will be fine.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006