Quietest exhaust system MK3 GTI 16V

Discussion in 'Engines' started by garfayliu, Feb 12, 2006.

1. garfayliu Forum Member

Finally... fitted the Milltek CAT back system on Sat, managed to get some time on the ramps. Fitment was very straight forward and easy. It took longer cutting off the factory exhaust.

The system I got has a straight through pipe which is the exact diameter (55mm ID, 58mm OD) to fit over the CAT pipe (55mm OD). The centre silencer fitted neatly, with the rear box leaving plenty of clearance over the rear axle. The rear pipes sit pretty well in the valance of the bumper, although a little close to the plastic. Will need to get a spacer on the rear exhaust rubber mount to make the pipes sit lower by a couple of mm. Got a slight leak/blow at the front connection, will seal up with some paste later.

As for the noise, it sounds real sweet at idle, purposful without being chavy, now I get a nice combination of induction noise and exhaust burble. It does boom slightly when at 3000rpm. Haven't done enough driving to test any difference in performance, but low down it there is some difference in the response, also managed to wheel spin going from 2nd to 3rd at 55mph, first time I've managed that, altough it was damp.

Hope to get some photos weather permitting.

2. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Remember it will sound tinny at first, once it fill with carbon then your will know how it sounds. Usually a lot deeper ;)

3. garfayliu Forum Member

Had a slight leak/blow around the CAT connector pipe, resolved now. Sound is soo nice, drove around with windows down, then got cold.

4. Robbie

Robbie Forum Member

..I have just had a custom made exhaust fitted to my mk3 - sounds nice, and not too 'Corsa', with an obvious kick on acceleration... Done thru a company called 'Longlife' - worth a look...

5. garfayliu Forum Member

Milltek as it sits now. Got a bit louder after a few k miles of running in and get some booming on motorway when exhausts hot. But sounds v nice otherwise.

[​IMG]