Rear axle/beam bracket removal

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mrglee, Sep 2, 2021.

1. mrglee Forum Member

So a small brake job has turned into a bit more will replace all rear brake lines change the axle bushes with poly's but have found some corrosion next to the axle mounting bracket I need to get it off to see if it's creep underneath is this on slotted holes for alignment or ok just to remove and refit and can only assume it's on captive nuts?
    MK3 GTi 8v 96

2. mrglee Forum Member

1630673803088_cp035900-lh-rear-beam-mount-bracket-93-99-vw-jetta-cabrio-golf-gti-mk3-genuine.jpg
    So it does have slotted holes (not mine) if I use the bolt marks on the bracket would that be near as dam it or not close enough?

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’d be amazed if it hasn’t marked the chassis anyways so you’ll know where to put it back

4. mrglee Forum Member

At the moment from what I can see the corrosion doesn't look too bad still solid will treat,paint and underseal so any marks on the chassis will be gone so plan is to wire brush the bracket bolts then white paint round the bolt heads before removing

5. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah that would be fine, there is very little adjustment in it to be honest. There a bit of a guide in the VW workshop manual about it. Worst case take it to a good independent or VW to get it aligned. Make take a bit of arguing because its "not adjustable" but if you get them to look at ETKA (workshop manual) it shows a procedure for it. Might have to use the procedure from a MK4 but the design is the same

6. mrglee Forum Member

Thanks guys bracket is off and good news only a little surface rust underneath striped back to bare and painted