Rear beam poly bushes gap?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mrglee, Sep 27, 2021.

1. mrglee Forum Member

Just got the rear beam back on with new polys and find a gap on both sides bolts are in loose wrong polys or will the gap shut when the bolts or torqued up Just doesn't look right.
    IMG_20210927_164753.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Looks wrong.

3. mrglee Forum Member

I have been in contact with flo- flex they seem to think my axle is different to what there designed for these are also listed for GTi 16v And vr6 are the axles different on any of these to 8v GTi? 5 stud

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all mk2, corrado and very early mk3 beams are the same where the bushes fit. later mk3 the hole for the bushes is bigger, so they wouldn't fit at all if incorrect. looks like the brackets on the car may be wrong or bent out of shape. take a more zoomed out picture so we can get a better look at the beam and the brackets etc

5. mrglee Forum Member

I have had a reply everything is correct I did remove the brackets to treat rust and paint pretty sure I got them back where they come from but the bushes I'm replacing didn't look that old but we're totally destroyed the beam put up a massive fight to get it out of the brackets also found cooper slip on the bracket bolts so someone has already removed the brackets before me can only assume they just put them back in the wrong place hence the gap and forced the beam back in like I had to compressing one side of the bush creating the gap.

6. BRI

bri Forum Member

Has the outer metal casing of the origional bush been left in the axle and the polybush pressed through it ?
    Kind of looks like it from the picture?

7. mrglee Forum Member

No that's the metal sleeve that the bush sits in its flared on both ends it's definitely all out.
    IMG_20211001_170639.jpg
    Both brackets are now at maximum inward movement to get these to fit in all honesty really not happy but would hope everything is equal will get the alignment checked when I have Finnish all the other work and mot is done.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021