Rear Hard Brake Lines

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Louis Falco, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Louis Falco Forum Member

Hi guys, am trying to source some metal brake lines for the rear beam assembly but not having a lot of luck. Does anyone know where I can get some for a reasonable price? Cheers!

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Make them? If you’ve got a tool that is

3. Louis Falco Forum Member

Would be easier and look better just to buy them pre made with the valves

4. Savagesam

5. Louis Falco Forum Member

Savagesam likes this.
  6. pigbladder Forum Addict

shame theyre copper

7. Louis Falco Forum Member

whats wrong with copper?

8. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Can always spray them like @GG. to get a more OEM look. Its not as tough as the steel originals so it's easier to damage and burst, however if you're burst copper brake lines then you've got terminator legs or they're low quality / not tested, which I should think they will be. I got copper-nickel hose from Automec and that comes with eddy current and pressure test results

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

it work hardens , banned in several countries , its the material those that dont know any better use

no reason to not use kunifer when its the same price within a couple of quid and far better

NateS2 likes this.
  10. Savagesam

it’s survived on most MK2’s for many many years, it’ll be fine!

I use it personally when I’m making my own but as he’s not doing that, the cost of buying the tooling vs rebuying these in 10 years time is much cheaper.

11. pigbladder Forum Addict

why do you use it instead of kunifer though? is that 50p a roll saving worth it ?

do you always fit 2nd or 3rd best parts because they survive ok ? ...some people like to choose the better stuff , especially when theres no reason not to

the fact its banned for use in many countries is good enough reason for me

12. Savagesam

As I said, for me who makes my own then yes, for someone who doesn’t have that privilege then it’s not going to make a difference is it, be realistic. He’s buying them brand new it’s not like he’s fitting second hand brake pipes.

13. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

the copper might go green, what will he do when its not asthetically pleasing

14. pigbladder Forum Addict

so buy them from someone that uses kunifer then?...2 rears wont cost no more than £15

i dont understand how this fierces people up so much ....surely we all agree cheap Chinese brake pads or remold tyres are a poor choice , why fit second best brake lines ?

15. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

You could say the same about car manufacturers using steel for brake and fuel lines or HGV's using remould tyres, just remember if you fly on holiday those aircraft you fly on use remould's as well.

16. pigbladder Forum Addict

bet they dont run copper hydraulic lines though

you carry on and enjoy em , sorry for pointing out theres a superior material available for the same price

17. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Point made PB - the choice is Louis's after that - there are merits for using either. My Mk2 is a "garage queen" and I do intend in the not too distant future to completely refurbish the rear end. I have another coated rear axle beam (with new bushes installed), stub axles and bolts, bearings, splash guards, brake discs and pads, ATE brake regulator - all of the above bar the splash guards are genuine/OEM but I'm going to use copper for the lines as the car is going to be parked up 95% of the time.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    cupracraig and NateS2 like this.
  18. valvemiester

No we dont use anything like them or kunifer, stainless steel all the way plus braided hoses of course.

19. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I have to say a brake lines kit is on my horizon. They are cheap and if you have a turn over of cars it seems like a sensible buy. You can then choose whatever material you like for your lines, win win :)

20. valvemiester

I bought a Sykes Pickavant 02700800 Brake pipe flare kit back in the late eighties great tool makes perfect flares everytime (you need to use it mounted in a vice but a great tool) The cheap hand held brake flaring tools are crap to be honest. The sykes one is the same as the one I used to use when I was a mechanic working in a garage back in the early / mid eighties and is a quality piece of kit.