Removing mk3 handbrake gaitor

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by nealey, Oct 28, 2008.

1. nealey Forum Junkie

How do you get the gaitor off a mk3 golf handbrake handle?

I have a gaitorless anniversary handle and another one with a leather gaitor on it which i want to remove and fit to the anniversary handle

If anyone has pics to show the removal they will win extra points

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

swap the whole lever over, only 2 nuts hold it to the car and some nuts on the handbrake cables.

3. nealey Forum Junkie

i want the anniversary lever in my car though hence why i need to swop the gaitor from the other mk3 handbrake as the anniversary one has no gaitor on it

4. rubjonny

hmm, onthe mk2 handle there is a clip which you press to release the handle? thing is the gaitor might actually be integral to the handle?

5. nealey Forum Junkie

Gaitors are available seperately for the mk3, they must come off as the anniversary one ive got has no gaitor on it, i just cant tell from looking at either how they come off

6. rubjonny

have a look at the base of the handle at the bottom, theres a clip on the MK2 handle here that releases it from the lever. I'd bet its same on the MK3 lever as its very similar in design to a late MK2 handle!

7. brightonmunich New Member

Same on Mk3. I struggled with this myself for a bit not obvious. There is a clip on the underside that you push in hard and then it slides off

8. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

To add something here;

The plastic 'tube' covering the grip of the handbrake lever has a 'U' shaped cut-out on the underside, forming a flexible section with a prong which locates over a ridge in the metal surround for the button/spring/linkage. This is concealed on leather or vinyl covered ones

The trickiest variant of this in the mk 3 is the saloon/highline item, where the rear end of the cover is attached to the rear section of the centre console. I've taken the rear section and h/brake lever off together several times, and separated them away from the car, if necessary.