Removing weight from a (Mk1) Golf ?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by SwervinMervin, Sep 19, 2020.

1. SwervinMervin Forum Member

Hi,

I've pulled most everything that isn't essential (or useful, for the little weight it adds - sound deadening stuff / bigger brake discs), but am wondering about the weight of the metal Mk1 GTI fuel tank and whether anyone has swapped it out for a plastic tank from another car.
    I'm also thinking that a replacement fuel tank with a lift pump might help with fuel starvation issues associated with the GTI tank, not to mention that it would make stealing petrol from the GTI tank (which is as easy as cutting into the hose elbow that feeds the pump / accumulator) a lot harder.
    So, has anyone weighed their metal fuel tank or successfully replaced their metal tank with a plastic one please ?

Thx in advance

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

GTI tank has the feed off the bottom, if you are running near empty on track, suggest a swirl pot is what you need. Dont know of any plastic mk1 tanks. Racer mk1 I am building now uses an ali tank in the spare wheel well
    Jon

3. SwervinMervin Forum Member

Swirl pot, yes - and ali tank in the spare wheel well is an interesting idea, but costly I'd imagine ?
    Am currently toying with the idea of cutting and re-locating (with some plastic welding) the access hole from other (later) VW fuel tanks that had a lift-pump built-in to their fuel systems, so as to fit a mk1. Will update the thread if I make progress.

4. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

What about the glass, probably weighs more than the fuel tank and its high up in the car...

5. SwervinMervin Forum Member

Got plastic (perspex) windows to go in mine, but nonetheless a good weight-loss idea, got any others ?

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Grp bonnet and wings.