Repairing rust on a mk2 at a pillar

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by ger16v, Jul 12, 2021.

1. ger16v Forum Member

I have been welding a mk2 golf when i can and it has been dragging on to long now

but i have noticed this at the base of the A pillar
    There seems to be 2 skins as such at this point but the rust has eaten the metal away that i cant seem to see how it originally was

Has anyone welder a repair here before - how difficult is it? IMG_1344[1].JPG IMG_1343[1].JPG IMG_1343[1].JPG

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’ve done it once, it’s an absolute pig, I’d get a cut if I were doing it again.

3. ger16v Forum Member

Thanks for the reply

Trying to find a cut will be difficult enough as i assume this is a weak point on mk2 golfs

To me this is a structural point on the car so i would want it repaired to a high standard

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've been collecting A pillar and a pillar rot repair pics for a while as I need to do the same job at some point:

apillar1.jpg apillar2.jpg apillar3.jpg apillar4.jpg apillar5.jpg apillar6.jpg apillar7.jpg apillarrot1.jpg apillarrot2.jpg apillarrot3.jpg apillarrot4.jpg apillarrot5.jpg apillarrot6.jpg apillarrot7.jpg apillarrot8.jpg apillarrot9.jpg apillarrot10.jpg

5. ger16v Forum Member

Thanks for the pictures rubjonny at least i can see how it is supposed to look
    It actually comes of the door hinge panel - a part i would assume is NLA

6. rubjonny

TBH prob best to get repair cuts, chop up & repair then weld in same as the above. The A pillar panels go all the way up to the roof and also include half the sill so not really practical. Left side is available 191809839:
    191809839.jpg
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384141625652

Right side 191809840 NLA but you can get Rallye golf version 191809840A, the bit you need will be the same just have a load of rallye sill you wont need. Quite expensive but then again you can sell on the Rallye bit for good money I expect :lol:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384141625782

Theres a strengthening panel under the A pillar section in case its not clear 191809623 and 191809624:
    191809624.jpg 191809623.jpg

left side NLA but right side available from classic:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133005293004

The strengthening section thats welded along the inner wing is 191809147 which is not sided:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393060128902

7. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Here's another view from the inside with an endoscope fed through the slots in the driver side pillar down and tilted up horizontal ish to the corner of the underside of scuttle. If the seller/owner would permit it I would definitely try this if you can before buying. Two screws and you're in. Weirdly I didn't find an equivalent view on the passenger side. It seemed to be more open and wasn't a concern as no water was coming in. I could also see a blank plate.

Was tornado red the de facto blank plate paint? I always thought I was sold an over sprayed sunroof panel as it was red on the back, but my blank plates are red and I noticed the Alpine white in members had red plates too.

209.png

8. ger16v Forum Member

Thanks Rujonny

i cant bring myself to pay that kind of money (£350??) for repair panels then having to cut them up for small repairs
    As for repair cuts where i live mk2 golfs have dropped off the face of the earth and cant help but think if i find one remove the wing etc only to find its only the same or even worse

9. rubjonny

yeah they'll all be similar state, but even so if you get the whole section you can unpick it and repair all the frilly bits, then its a quicker job welding back into the car if your time on the job is limited say if you dont have anywhere to work under cover or anything

ger16v likes this.
  10. Rendall86 New Member

Have you got a link to the repair panel where the bonnet bracket attaches from the other side?