Replacement engine setup

Discussion in '8-valve' started by eddiedebo, Dec 30, 2022.

1. eddiedebo Forum Member

Hi all
    Swapped out the engine in my 89 8v gti again as the old one never ran properly.
    I've got the new engine running now.

There were a few issues getting it going due to the dizzy needing to be rotated 90 degrees anti clockwise. The HT leads were in the normal position on the cap and dizzy was in its normal orientation when I received the engine but it just wouldn't run. The dizzy bolt was loose so possibly someone has messed with it. After rotating it 90 degrees it now means the dizzy plug hits the block if rotated any further anti clockwise. It also had the wrong sensor\switch for oil pressure so I was getting the buzzer and light coming on over 2k rpm which I've sorted.

So next I wanted to set the dizzy advance. With blue sensor unplugged, rpm to 2.25k and timing light on cylinder 1 I don't see the timing mark. I can only rotate the dizzy a small amount anti clockwise. If rotated clockwise it also doesn't reveal the timing mark with the timing light.

Question is how do I get the dizzy back in it's correct orientation to allow more movement and is that even the issue as to why I can't see the timing mark? Is the dizzy being 90 degrees out effecting the timing mark with the timing light? Presumably the timing can't be a million miles off if it's running fine?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

2. davidut5 Forum Member

Get the dizzy out, and adjust how you want. You can time the engine, off, to set dizzy on the correct position.

3. eddiedebo Forum Member

It's sorted now. Was actually the flywheel that is not installed correctly. Inner camshaft marker lines up with head and dizzy rotor lines up with lead to cylinder #1 when at tdc. But no timing mark on the flywheel. So just timed it up by feel\sound