Replacement gearbox 1991 Gti 8v

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by joecarr1992, Apr 3, 2018.

1. joecarr1992 New Member

Hopefully a simple question.

Im on the hunt for a replacement gear box for my Mk2 gti 8v. So, as long as i find a gear box from a late gti 8v will this be just a straight swap? Haven't got the car in front of me so can't check the gearbox code.

I'm not too concerned about getting the exact same ratios as long as they're fairly similar.

Thanks in advance

Joe

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

84-92 gti 8v box all straight swap, except earlier ones haver a different reverse switch. 16v will fit but need to change the clutch to match it. best to check the box code you have first, never know if its the original. 16v or 2.0 8v mk3 have a bigger input shaft than the 1.8 8v boxes. If you plan to change the clutch anyway it makes no odds what box used to be on there just need to hold off buying one till you get the new box

3. joecarr1992 New Member

Thanks Jonny. There's an ATH gearbox on ebay atm. The guy says its from a mk2 gti but from the FAQ it seems to be from a mk3 TD so this definitely wouldn't be a straight swap then like the guy is saying?

The car is in the garage so can't check my code ATM.

4. rubjonny

yeah that would be a diesel box. straight fit, but ratios not really right for a GTI

5. joecarr1992 New Member

I just read a few more forum posts about how bad the ratios are. Just found another box, a CHD, which again is from a diesel on ebay being sold as for a gti. Nightmare.

6. rubjonny

have a word with hotgolf on here aka martin emment/gas n gears, he can rebuild the old one good as new or he might have some exchange units in stock.

trouble with used boxes you have to take the sellers word they're good, and these days not many boxes will be especially if they've come out of a gti

7. joecarr1992 New Member

Its the housing that has actually gone on mine, where it mounts at the front has broken! Mechanic says hes never seen anything like it before. Might give him a message though.

8. rubjonny

if the box itself is in good nick then martin can sort you a new casing out if he has in stock, if not any cheap mk2/3 020 box will have the casings he needs to fix :)

9. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Had a message from yourself, but in all fairness swapping a case is more expensive than buying a used box, although you will have the advantage of knowing the condition of your box.