Replacing bushes in MK3 02A shifter?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by G60Dub, Sep 16, 2009.

1. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Seen this the other day and thought since I'm rebuilding an 02A gearbox (STILL only awaiting a diff [:$] ) I thought about sharpening up the shifter action not that its bad by any means.

I know that I can use an 02J tower and shifter but seen this and wondered if it's worth the hassle or is the change still going to be crap compared to an 02J shifter/tower combo or even a B&M shifter for about$160?

This is what got me thinking:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2857147

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ok here are some of the bushes:
    357 711 055 D - selector guide lever (main white bit that the metal stick goes thru) - 3.15+VAT
    357 711 166 A - bearing bush (white one in the link towards the bottom) - 0.41+VAT
    357 711 164 - cap (brown thing next to the white bush) - 0.44+VAT
    357 711 124 A - guide bush (white one where the spring is) - 0.38+VAT
    357 711 590 B - bearing bush (goes thru the middle of the white one above) - 0.64+VAT
    357 711 590 C - bearing bush (opposite the white bush above) - 0.64+VAT

3. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Ohhhh inexpensive; I LIKE! [:D] ... :lol:

Seems foolish not to then but looks like a fookin PITA to strip in in situ tho and not best happy with taking a dremel to the lip of the mounting on the centre tunnel; unless of course we are only talking a small amount. Anyone done this in situ?

Just fitted a new exhaust n not best happy with pulling it off just to get into the shifter box.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  4. alexisblades99 Forum Member

i was adjusting mine today following a guide on one of the american's links. it looks fiddly but doable. my bushes are well gone so going to be doing the same job within the next week or so.
    top tip. chock the wheels so you can take the handbrake off, put a comfy cushion over it and sit astride the trans tunnel, it saves you a lot of back ache.

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Let us know if you can do it in situ as I'll be ordering the bushes come payday - Still 2 weeks away... [xx(]

Good tip re the cushion. :thumbup:

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I did this ages ago. Dremelled the lip. Saves taking the exhaust off. Bought all the bushes etc. was easy but still not that great. I think i'm goin for the o2j tower and shifter or even change the gearbox. It's a good thought but not really worth doing IMO but it does tighten it up slightly. All depends how bad your is to start with. For the price of parts you could give it a try.

You need to take the centre console out. Don't remember having to remove handbrke though.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Change is positive & not 'soupy' at all so the car must have done plenty motorway miles; may still do it tho as there is perceptible play in the shifter and like you say it's inexpensive. :)

Cheers for the 'in-situ' heads-up Russ. :thumbup:

8. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

OK just done this yeserday; replaced the lot* and it was a bit of a fiddle but its made a nice difference. :thumbup:

*I didn't replace the pivot bush for the selector bracket (gate lever) as the pin that holds the gate cable to it is underneath and looks like a fatherless child to reinstall. I am however going to have a stab at this this afternoon.

I also noticed I have a little play in the bush on the gate selector cable end and on checking ETKA is seems that these are not available seperately. [:x]

Has anyone made replacement bushes for the cable ends? I'm going to stick some heatshrink on the pin; I doubt it will last long term but it should reduce play in the short term.

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Did you dremel the lip? i think i replaced those bushes you're talking about(not the cable ends). Not too hard, was a while ago though. IIRC mine was slightly better but seemed like it needed lubricating ie stiffer movement and harder to pull out of reverse.

10. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Er... 'Did I dremel the lip?' Well the Dremel was in a bag in the passenger seat but then I had a look and as it was such a small amount I ended up giving it a couple of chaps with a chisel and hammer- Job done.

Gate bush has now been replaced- What a total barsteward that was - Clip holding the cable to the gate lever was easy to replace (long curved tweesers to get it in place and then a jab with a thumb seen it home) and turned out to be the least of my worries. Eventually got the gate lever out, bush out and the new one in; but try as a might everything conspired against me - Gate lever cable was in the way (have to sit it above the gate lever until the lever is fitted), reverse shift stop too. Ended up sitting the gate lever on some plastic shim to level it which made the whole ordeal much simpler. Total jiggery pokery 'in-situ' :lol:

If it was harder to pull out reverse it was probably more uneven spring tension on the adjuster- had this a while back where it wouldnt want to come out reverse and 1st was sometimes hard to get into - Adjusted it all up and its been fine since. It is most ANNOYING tho.

11. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Will an 02J cable end bush fit an 02a cable?

Meant to ask - Will an 02J cable bush end fit into an o2A cable?

^^^ Just realised that this is nonsensical. Was at the scrappers the other day and noticed a few MK4s have 02A type shifters - main differecnes being the shifter assembly is located high enough for the pivot pin to clear the centre tunnel and the stick has a bend midway. Anyway this is neither here nor there- What I did notice is the cable end bushes look remarkably similar to 02A cable ends so I picked a few up which have very little play. Couldn't be bothered looking at the gate cable bush this time around but I may the next time I end up in the scrappies.

Had a closer look when I got home - In the gear cable there is a nylon type insert in the middle of the rubber bush that looks as if it could easily be replaced. Anyways as they are 'newer' than the 11 year old bush in my gear cable end I'm gonna try and fit one when I have a spare hour or so.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  12. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Resurrecting this again, cos my change is a bit wishy washy, its really hard to make a fast 'GTI gear change'

It's fine when changing slowly, very smooth, but as soon as you want to bang it in, its almost as if it loses its way and goes all over the place!

Has anyone bought that metal part that is supposed to minimise sideways play because often the OEM one (which has plastic parts) breaks... this is the link one of the vortex guys posted -

http://www.gruvenparts.com/website/cart/cart.php?target=product&product_id=267&category_id=60

Seems really expensive though, with current exchange rate, thats like 55 or something... has anyone seen anything cheaper?! Cos I reckon this might be what I need to sharpen up the gear change

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

good thread

just converted my rally car to 02a from 020, and am very dissapointed with the gearchange. Going to add the new bushes soon.
    Thanks guys

14. pigbladder Forum Addict

might be something coming up sometime soon....got a man onto it , but he's a slacker :thumbup:

15. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Ah good to hear mate, Ill definitely be interested if its a group buy or the like, I shall keep my lids peeled... any sort of timescale?! Im an impatient man! :lol:

16. pigbladder Forum Addict

aint sure really on time...

as far as im aware its only the gruven one thats avail at the moment

17. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Has anyone cut their gear stick down like some of the vortex chaps have done!? I was thinking of doing it while its in situ, cos I dont think Im going to bother changing the bushes at the bottom of the gear stick yet, feels ok, so didnt really want to take the shifter out...

What would I use to re thread it (dunno if thats the technical term) so I can screw the gear knob back onto it!? Anyone have any linkies to good buys?

18. pigbladder Forum Addict

chopped mine about to make a short shiffer

19. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Woohoo at the short shift, now thats dead easy to make. I may knock one up on the weekend :)

20. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

did it make alot of difference?! How so? And what did you use to re thread it?