Reprogramming a vw key fob

Discussion in 'Security' started by Si16vAnni, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Si16vAnni Forum Member

Only have 1 key for the VW, so looking at getting a spare one. Main dealer want about 160 quid so looking at other ways to do it. I have got a new key with the correct part number and frequency. I can get a local locksmith to cut the key for about 15 quid. In regards to the reprogramming the key fob I have read that I need need to get a SkC number which is 4 or 7 digits and then I would need to get it programme. Anyone how if this can be done on Vag com or do I need to buy the code and get the fob re programmed by VW or a autolocksmith. Thanks

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Its possible to do it with the right tools without going to a locksmith. Can be done with a full version of vagcom but there are is other software thats better.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cant do this with vag-com unless you have the skc. luckily you have 1 matched key, so you can get the skc using vag-tacho. the cable is different so you'll need to buy one off ebay. If you get a cheapo non-genuine cable make sure you only use the version of vag-tacho that comes with the cable, some versions can and will wipe the cable chip for you. then using the skc you can match the new key using either vag-com or vag-tacho. also worth noting mk4 and newer vag cars use a different type of chip in the key, which is use once. so if its a 2nd hand key and chip not replaced its useless and you cant code it to your car.

there are loads of ways to match the remote fob to your cl, depending what car you have

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You don't need a matched key on the mk4 or the newer platform cars, to get the SKC. That only applies to the mk3.;) I'm sure a secondhand key can be matched too. How would the ECU know its been matched to another car.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  5. rubjonny

No im pretty certain you have to have a matched key in the ignition to get the skc. Have you actually tried this yourself?
    I tried this on our 2000 reg SEAT Ibiza and it wouldn't give me the SKC unless I had a matched key in the ignition.

As for MK4 keys, its the chip that is different, read what I posted ;)

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if its a b5.5 passat does that make any difference? the genius who posted this thread is talking about a Passat :lol:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  7. rubjonny

I assume it would be MK4 based, but i could be wrong. here are the various fob programming methods I've picked up over the years:

Remote Key Registration Procedure:
    1 Switch ignition ON.
    2 Insert key to be programmed into driver’s door lock.
    3 Lock vehicle manually (rotate key in lock)
    4 Press lock or unlock button on new key.
    5 Wait at least 1 second.
    6 Press lock or unlock button again.
    7 Vehicle horn sounds briefly to indicate successful programming

method 2:

1 ignition on to red lights on dash
    2 turn off immediately and pull key out
    3 hold 1 of the buttons down (dont matter which)
    4 PRESS the other 3 times ( with a SLIGHT pause) 1 . 2 . 3
    5 watch led on key (should flash) and doors usually try lock/unlock
    6 turn ignition key back on to red lights and wait 5 sec
    7 key out again and test operation

method 3:

1 Take the valet key, put it into the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position, just prior to starting the car.
    2 Roll down the driver's side window (not required, but a good idea in case there's a problem).
    3 Exit the car and close the door.
    4 With a second key, physically lock the doors (don't use a remote).
    5 Take the first remote to be programmed, press one of the buttons and the lights will flash once. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. That first transmitter is now programmed.
    6 Lock the door again (physically) with the key, (not the remote).
    7 Press one of the buttons twice, the lights will flash twice. Wait 10 seconds and press the unlock button. The doors should unlock. The second transmitter is now programmed.

For a third transmitter press the button 3 times and for a fourth press 4 times.

8. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

John, I remember telling that to a friend over the phone, and getting towards the end I told him to now put his left hand on his head while doing the last two steps(to act as an antenna), which he did as he told me he had to leave down the phone to have enough hands. I nearly **** myself laughing and had to hang up:lol::lol::lol:

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yes I have tried and programmed a key on a w reg seat Ibiza that had no working key. Car came without a key. Blank was cut to ignition barrel and I programmed it. Car started and ran and was subsequently sold soon after.

Maybe you were doin it wrong. ;)

Seat ibiza's of that age with the funny radio can cause problems on the k line.

10. rubjonny

hmm ok fine I'll take your word for it. what software were you using?

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Vag tacho. Initially even using vag com i couldn't see anything on the Ibiza. Had to contact the place where i bought my official lead from. They mentioned the big radio on those cars can cause problems. Removed the radio and programmed the key.

A friend if mine buys from auctions and some cars come without keys. He buys a blank and I program it, if it's vag. I also did it on an audi a3.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  12. panda68 New Member

would anyone can tell me how to program a MK3 Golf (96) with immobiliser ,I got just one key and
    I have vag.com and vag tacho 2.5 as well.
    many thanks

13. m1keh Forum Member

You need to use vag-tacho 2.5 to read your SKC. Then you can use vag-com to program in new keys.

14. m1keh Forum Member

15. fishnchipsx2 Forum Member

Here's another question... I have one key/chip for the immobiliser for my ABF (from an M-reg mk3) in a mk1, no vagcom port (cos I cba wiring it in :lol:).

If I want a spare, are there locksmiths out there who can make me a copy just using my original chip?

16. panda68 New Member

thanks for your quick reply:thumbup:

1) Buy a blank transponder key fob
    2) get the key cut by locksmith
    3) retrieve SKC (4 or 7 digits) by using Vag tacho
    4) finally insert the key in, with ignition on, then programme it by vag.com

Am I got it right;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  17. m1keh Forum Member

Almost, you need your original key in to start with in the whole vag-com programming bit if you already have one. Read the vag-com guide on programming.

18. m1keh Forum Member

Yes there are locksmiths out there who can just clone your original immobiliser chip.

19. frenno

frenno Forum Member

I've got an '06 Audi A3, I have two keys for it but one has a broken lock button, So i bought a 2nd hand key off eBay in the right Freq Can I reprogram myself and swap the blade over or is it more complex than that with the newer models?

20. bmouthboyo Forum Member

Sorry to drag this up but does anyone know where / which Golf Mk3 1995 transponder chip I need? It is immob 1 but not sure which chip as the last one that was
    PCF7931XP/SQ like mine wasn't recognised by my EC / VAGCOM. Do the numbers after the main chip number need to match also?