Restoring black trim...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by veedubnutz, May 9, 2006.

1. 89gti New Member

peanut butter works a treat. nice and black with a matt finish

2. scooby__doo Forum Member

Been using the autoglym, leaves a good finish but never lasts long. After reading all this I will have to try the kiwi express shoe dye first and then maybe put a layer of the linseed oil on the top. I'd give me left arm to get a good, long lasting finish on the bumpers and trim.

3. FEN

fen Forum Member

tbh if your usin linseed oil i dont think you ned to use anyfing underneath it i used JUST linseed oil and its WAAAY better than the turtle wax stuff i used and its lasted brilliantly out in HEAVY rain the past few days cant recomend it highley enough

4. scooby__doo Forum Member

Righto I take that on board. Give the Linseed Oil ago on its own.

Cheers dude.

5. Levi New Member

I can vouch for the linseed oil! Bought a bottle from Homebase for 2.99 and the results are brilliant!

6. murrell_mk1 New Member

dont worry bout the paint too much as long as ur not holding it in 1 place 4 ages itl be fine, how hot does your car get in summer?

7. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

I blowtorched mine last week and it looked fantastic but still a little patchy so I satarted going over it with linseed oil and it works a treat:thumbup: dunno how long it will last though yet its been 3 days now and still looks ace[:D]

8. animaniac Forum Member

Never used that on mine i wouldnt like to risk any damage, i always use trim restores, not only do they work they also make the trim shine...

I've used simonz back to black, armor all, turtle wax extreme cockpit and tyre shine this was before the nanotech, and according to my friend the nanotech is crap, but all were good.

I've also used auto glym tyre shine on the bumpers aswell as the tyres and it's good stuff.

What i have noticed is that most restorers are normaly white in colour and can take abit to rub in or can get in badges etc.

But i've just started to use turtle wax wet n black on the bumpers as it said it was also for plastic, and with it being clear it went on nice with a jay cloth and turned the plastic instantly black, although i had to go over some parts of the trim a few times, becuase it was so faded, but i've hardly used any out of the bottle which is good..

No i'm just waiting to see how long it lasts...

9. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

probably been mentioned b4

boiled linseed oil?

10. t'mill Forum Member

They do 2 types, boiled and normal oil. It has never been discussed what the differences are but i doubt there will be any difference to be honest.

11. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

put boiled on my girlfriends bumper (in case it melted :lol: ) and it looks brand new.

might try it on mine this week

12. The Guv. New Member

I've been advised by 3 body shops that the best stuff to use is actually smooth peanutbutter, can get it from about 50p a jar and you'll only use half a jar over the entire year, lasting shine etc.

It's the natural oils in the peanutbutter that does the trick, much like the oils you use to treat wood only you can get it in any food store! Had it on mine for a while now and still nice and black like it was when it left the showroom (not that I had it back then).

13. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Linsed oil on MK3 hatch spoiler?

Bought some lineed oil the other day and boy WHAT A DIFFERENCE on my bumpers! Cant quite believe the change... My front bumper top was a lovely light grey and its now a satin BLACK. :p

I'm a linseed oil convert... And will no longer use stuff costing , Halleuja! :clap:

There was a note on spontaeous combustion on the bottle :o so I've posted a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil

One question though: Can I use it on my MK3 hatch spoiler as this plastic is different from the bumpers?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  14. t'mill Forum Member

I use it on my Mk2 hatch spoiler with no probs whatsoever. In fact i use it on allmy plastic including side mouldings, wing mirrors and rear hatch sticker [:D]

15. danielbvw Forum Member

penut butter!!!! do you have a load of hounds licking at your motor chasing you round town?

16. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

i like the linseed oil, sounds good but if i brush past it wont it make my clothes black??????

17. coxygti Forum Member

saw some old dude on a tv programme the other day using peanut butter on his trim. Is this any GOOD ????????

18. coxygti Forum Member

ALSO ! Were can you get linseed oil from?:)

19. markib New Member

i heard peanut butter the smooth type

20. Jaydee Forum Member

Try local hardware stores, or the big chains like B&Q etc.