Retro fitting DSG?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by scruffydubber, Dec 7, 2010.

1. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Has anyone seen a car with a DSG conversion?

I've seen a mk2 with a full R32 conversion with DSG box. But not heard of any others.

Does the DSG box have it's own ECU? Or is part of the engine ECU?

If it has it's own ECU, what additional sensors does the car have to control it?
    I guess it picks up speed, engine rev's off the CAN line.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

3. m1keh Forum Member

4. m1keh Forum Member

It would also seem that if you want to take apart the gearstick module and swap the hall senders for tiptronic operation you could have pull back for up and forwards for down.

5. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Some good links and reading there.

Interesting that somebody has fitted it to a G60.
    I guess they must have got it to run as a stand alone system. But I can't see how they would have got the throttle blips to work. Although i can't hear the blips

I notice from the other link the gearboxes have there own speed sensors.
    Which would also be a plus for it running as a standalone system.

If the DSG was mapped to give more driver control, What other inputs would it need apart from selector padles, and shaft speeds.

Off to do more reading

6. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

That link has loads of information.

It looks to have all it's sensors built in. Only using CAN for Engine speed/input shaft speed and Car speed/Output shaft speed If there is a fault with one of the gearbox sensors.

You could Take the whole wiring and ECU's and CAN interface from a donor car, and run it as a seperate system.

The only connections to the rest of the car seem to be CAN connections to the ABS ECU and engine ECU. I wonder if it would go into a fault mode if these where not there.

And then the only other part is the throttle blips? Are they just for smoother changes??

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  7. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

I was thinking you could have two levers.

One for selecting the mode on the tunnel, as standard fit.

Then you could make a small one higher up near the wheel, Which is just forwards and backwards with the sensors taken out of the steering wheel padles.
    Then you wouldn't have the headache of trying to get the column and wheel to fit an older car.

Backdraft have fitted one to a Xbow, and offer conversion kits, although they use the 2.0T, so I guess the engine ECU can be coded to work with it. Although they don't have ABS or traction control

http://ktm-xbow.groupsite.com/discussion/topic/show/270837.html?page=1

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  8. chunkymunkey New Member

its gonna need feed from engine and abs for engine speed and road speed, throttle position etc

also not all dsg have paddles on steering wheel so thats not a real worry!

i know you havent asked for an opinion, but i wouldnt bother, DSG really isnt worth the hassle!!!

9. m1keh Forum Member

It shouldn't need the CAN feed as it has got it's got it's own internal sensors for all of these parameters. Although those will be very different when you fit the box to another car with different sized wheels. And maybe some programming changes would be needed to accomodate this.

10. Nowalk New Member

Hey Im really intreasted in doing a dsg conversion in my vw mk4 1.8t tiptronic bc Im in wheelchair and can't use my legs so stickshift is out of the ?! And with my built motor and big turbo Ive gone through 2 supposed built tiptronics! So if anyone could help it would be awsome!

11. Nowalk New Member

Help

Now i know im going to get the response of go by a new gti with dsg! But thats not what I want!! Im a paraplegic with a mk4 gti with a qed stroker big port head big turbo tiptronic!
    Well I have spent 10000 in tiptronic builds and im about ready to break the second one! So I really want to do a dsg! I know i can get it to bolt up! I just need some help if there was a way to do the wiring and computer programing any help would be awsome!

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Posts approved, sorry for the delay.

13. Nowalk New Member

please help

Thank you can anyone help me with my problem or have any good info for me!

14. scruffydubber Paid Member Paid Member

Bump this thread up.
    Anyone seen a standalone conversion yet?
    Or tried it themselves?

15. foxyjay Forum Member

Guys i have a full donor car 2.0tdi dsg and considering fitting into my mk2 golf.
    Im going to have a testing session to see how the car responds to me coding out the abs pump and removing the fuse powering it.

Anyone care to chip in?

16. foxyjay Forum Member

I will likely need to keep canbus module so i canrun the instrument cluster, and paddle switches but i know i can code out electric steering (as my caddy used to have hydraulic steering), can code out convenience items, etc. I really want to do away with the cecm too if i can manage it

17. foxyjay Forum Member

Slight progress:

I have stripped-back the module installation list on the canbus module, and removed power supplies gradually by pulling fuses, clearing canbus "incorrectly coded" DTC's, and so on etc.

Got to a stage now where I have very little on the installation list except the canbus module itself (!), the power control module (body control unit) and the steering column module.
    All the other modules are out of the equation, cannot be interrogated via Can, and don't cause fault.

The biggest headache I thought would be the ABS module, however this doesnt cause issues (on the face of it).
    I was told by someone in the "know" that without the ABS module, you can't use launch control on a DSG-equipped car.

I am putting together basic wiring schematics (more like single line schematics) by trawling through the car's original wiring diagrams on ELSAWIN - just so that I can see exactly what goes where and what relies on what.

At present I believe that it's likely I will need to retain the Power Control Module. This would mean all the main power consumers in the car, all the lighting, wipers, horn would need rewiring to this unit.
    Not necessarily a big deal..........but still a fair bit of work.

More updates as they arise.......

rubjonny likes this.
  18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I am monitoring your progress with interest ;)

19. Alfonzo bonzo Forum Member

If you have coded the abs out did you try the launch control?

I've a mk5 dsg with an abs issue where the launch control Wont work, (its a rear abs sensor) ill be coding it out this week and will also try to see if the launch control starts to work.

20. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not just easier to fixing the abs sensor