Roll cage installation guide - illustrated to help with MSA compliance

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by A.N. Other, Jul 3, 2008.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

MSA quote minimum requirements there.

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

Can you mark the foot footprint on your second picture .. may help the advice.

3. steve G Forum Member

cheers mike and chris for your advice,i will make some better plates to sit under the main one.
    cheers steve

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

I decided to redrill all my cage feet to take 10mm bolts instead of 8mm, looked so much more beefier.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  5. project 2006 New Member

Comments on the proposed hight of this door bar, it looks right to me and protects my hips and legs but it does seem lower than other instalations I have seen. Thanks david

[​IMG]

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Looks high enough (just).

Get a seat in on a bock of wood, roughly positioned, and decide if it's covering your hip joint.

7. ingham Forum Member

8. infinity

infinity Forum Member

Hi Chris, thanks for doing this write up, makes things nice and clear.:clap:

Can I ask if you have any info regarding seatbelt eyelets when welded onto cages??

9. 12valver Forum Member

Just had a read through this, thanks to everyone involved for putting it together. Very useful.

I am away to take out the half cage in my Mk3 golf and get a proper cage done for it. Trying to work out what I would like and have a few questions. steved has sent through some images of his cage which were very useful, so thanks for that.

1. Is there any guidance on harness bars welded between the diagonals? I am still unsure whether to do this or to continue having them attached to a rear strut brace as per the images below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Can I ask what peoples opinions on where the diagonals and rear stays meet. I have seen some connected to the top of the rear turrets and possibly thought this would be a good idea as you could add in a new rear strut brace as part of the cage.

3. Can somebody please clarify the thought behind extending tubes through from the A pillar to the front turret, is this to increase inner wing rigidity? I plan to have a tube running between the A pillars on the inside of the car, which will pick up on the factory points for the stuctural dash support the Mk3 has, so wondered if I required front turret supports?

Pics of internal support:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for all the questions and apologies if I have posted these queries in the wrong section.

Martin

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Hi Martin.

1. In answer to the harness bars / poss to avoid repetition, there's a bit on this thread

My personal view is if you have it as part of a cage structure, it's a neater solution.
    2. Diagonals at the top of the rear turrets are intrinscially more 'focused' on the stress points. Cage design usually dictates where they end up, however.
    3. The tubes from the A-pillar stitch in the inner wings, point forces into the cage structure, rather than having forces disipating into a vague area from the turret to inner wing to A-pillar. It makes for a stiffer chassis, as it picks up at the bottom of the A-pillar too.

Whenever one of these is fitted however, IMO, it must have a door bar meeting behind it, at the A-pillar tube, otherwise a frontal impact just kinks the A-tube. There was a picture of a Renault 5 / Clio on here somewhere, which I'd intended to add to this thread when I find it, but I'm sure it's something that could be visualised.

11. 12valver Forum Member

Thanks for the response Chris, answers all my queries!

I know what you mean about the A pillar / door bar junction. Think I will go for something similar. Just need to find someone to do it now. Fear I may have to go down the road to Englandshire.

12. steved Forum Member

You can upload the photo's of my cage if you want, Might make it easier to explain.

13. 12valver Forum Member

Thanks steve.

I had a look through my files and have put together some pics of cages I have liked.

The Mk3s:

steved's new steed in preparation

Note how dash support has been removed and tied in with new bar between A pillars. Steering column mounted off here as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming through to the front turrets.

[​IMG]

All diagonals, rear turret bar and rear stays go to top of turret.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some cross bracing between B pillars. Have my seat quite far back so will have to check the best location for this. I see some have a bar quite low down.

[​IMG]

pascal77uk's race car - Hope you don't mind me sticking up the pics in here Mike?

Front turrets linked to A pillar and also stitched to chassis legs I believe although don't have any pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like the double diagonal door bars although I don't know if I would require anything so serious as not racing?

[​IMG]

Rear section. The car has had modification to the top mounts on the rear so is different to mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A polo race car - the harness bars look a little high but like the way the rear stays, diagonal and bar between turrets meet.

[​IMG]

I think this was vw but can't remember - Love the gussets on the doors bars and A pillars

[​IMG]

Fairly serious climbing frame inside

[​IMG]

New Scirrocco N24 thingy - Again all the bars meet, but lower down the rear inner arch

[​IMG]

I hope this helps explain what I was on about.

Martin

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

More q's arising?

15. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

No probs Martin. I do have a good contact for cages as well.

Some of the doors bars on this thread are far too low Dangerous IMO.

16. 12valver Forum Member

I don't think so Chris :lol: Guess I just need to decide on what I want.

Mike could you send me through the details please? Could maybe tie taking the car down with dropping off those other bits if it is down your way.

17. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Ok will do, i will get the details off Jamie.

18. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I think I might be in need of some of the fixing hardware. Does anyone know of a good supplier for the suitable nuts, bolts and washer on a 6-point bolt-in install in a Mk2?

I cant recall seeing any bolts with the 'fitting kit', just the plates but will have to double check.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nuts & bolts from a nut & bolt supplier to the spec quoted in post #2 :)

20. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Cheers Chris.

No issues with having non-nyloc nuts welded underneath the plates is there, for attaching the feet to?

Page 169 of the 2008 blue book, diagram no.9 - Do all bars have to be present? I would like to have a bar added between the main roll hoop/B-pillars (reg friendly I hope for the Mk2 Championship?).

If perfectly fine, where would the best place be for a length of the correct spec tubing?

Just thought, is it ok to add additonal bars to an off-the-shelf OMP caqe? I'm sure it voids the homoligation or something...