S3 trackcar

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by notenoughtime, Jun 16, 2017.

1. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Small update done

2. notenoughtime

Following on.....

I been out for some good laps in the Renault and decided to come in for a cool down for myself as much as the car and it was now approx 12.30 lunch break had been postponed till 1pm due to the morning issues and the few offs to start with! I went and bought a coffee and came back to the garage and the yellow Audi was up on the jack with stones all around it with power steering pipes hanging down from under the car :o

Perrys friend Seb had going out and over cooked it paddock hill and stuck it deep in the gravel, not a place you want to be going off! actually you dont want to be going off anywhere really lol
    I straightened the hoses out cable tying them up out of the way as they had been ripped from there mounting holes on the bumper, stones removed from various cavities and let the jacks down, check over of fluids etc and I notice the cam belt had a massive gouge through the middle of the cam belt meaning the retirement of this car for the day! I was thinking about changing the belt during the lunch break but it still had the original style tensioner which is a pain to get the engine mount out and in fact release the tensioner but decided against it, the car was loaded onto the trailer :thumbd: (I must remember to take more pictures)

Lunch time was chilled with the sun out and a good chat with a few guys around and after lunch we thought we would try and get out together me in the Clio, Nigel in the black Audi, rick in the puma, skinner in the Subaru, wee man in the starlet we were all ready for the 2pm start and first out a couple of warm up laps and no one had come up close to me yet until the end of the second lap I was taking it easy! As they came up I then was ready and yet again pulled away around Druids the Subaru of skinner had passed both the puma and Audi as had the starlet coming up to graham hill bend, I had a couple of Porsches in front cayman s and boxster s which didnt seem to want to let me passed but I had plenty of room and passed with ease which the Porsche driver was not happy about and proceeded to flash his lights at me! I had my lights on and blues were flashing from the Marshall points from graham hill bend! I had a lovey clear line around Clarke and onto the straight up through the gears hard on the brakes for paddock again which I do love as the car lifts and slides over the brow and back on the power accelerating up to druids, the Subaru had been slowed by the Porsches and I had another couple of laps with the Subaru catching but still away off! Nigel was nowhere to be seen in the Audi and I decide to pit, I parked the Clio in the garage and removed my helmet got out of the car and skinner pulled in, he jumped out with a big grin saying I was just about to pass you and you pulled into the pits! Yeh right lol

Nigel was already in the pits as he had a spin at druids no wonder why I couldnt see him! And one of the Marshalls came over and ask who was driving the Audi, Nigel held his had in the air whilst looking down and the Marshall said he should be ashamed of himself, which made the rest of laugh but Nigel took it to heart I think haha! I think he is still braking as hes entering the corner bringing the back round!

A bit of refreshment and I jumped in the drivers seat of the Audi with Nigel next to me, adjusted the harnesses and out on the pit lane, the Marshall checked to see who was driving and took Nigels wristband number for his excursion earlier! We were waved on and out onto a clear track for a couple of warm up laps, car was running superbly and temps dont seem to creep up unlike the yellow car after 10 or so laps starts to rise which is thanks to the large alloy rad and the large front mount intercooler.
    The car just gripped and gripped the more you pushed it and we are only on Nankang NS2-R tyres we have some slicks to try next time, five or six laps in we caught a group of slower cars we came out of Druid and down to Graham hill bend where we where 3 abreast, the acceration out of the courier from druids really gets you past anything else in the way, hard on the brakes and turn in feeding the power in and the diff just pulls you into the corner and along the straight to surtees just a lift on the throttle for that and back on the power to clearways keeping it as straight as possible and hard on the brakes and back round for the straight were we coauthor that Porsche again, their line into paddock was terrible and they drifted out wide onto the rumble strips and nearly put it in the gravel, I think they need some lessons!
    A few specks of rain were landing on the screen but nothing to worry about for this lap, the next lap we came up to druids hard on the brakes and a little slide from the rear as it had got a bit wet but nothing to terrible, the next lap was much of the same but the third we could feel the car sliding with some wheel spin evident out of the corners, I decided we had a good day and brought the Audi into the pits to load up, if it had been the other way round. As in a wet start it would have been easier to carry on but as I had got faster during the day its easy to go in to quick and have an off after a day like that! We were back on the trailer and packed up within ten mins and it looked like most people had the same idea.

Heres to the next one :thumbup:

Ill try and find some pics!

gasco and 1.8T_mk2 like this.
  3. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like you all had a good day with only a few minor issues. :thumbup:

4. notenoughtime

Small update Ill try and do a full report over the weekend!

Headed to Bedford Friday evening at about 7pm as we had found a premier inn for 35 per room we were there for 8.30pm parked the trailers and went for a well deserved beer or two!

Wet start, yes thats me!

748E1B79-5BC3-4B16-80D4-33AA97F854E0.jpg

Wheels refurbished on the Audi

7BC65210-6CBA-4B0C-A8BD-C925E1E70A48.jpg

Woke up at 6.30 to pouring rain! Headed to the track which was a 20 mins drive via Mcds, usual unloading of the cars and to the briefing, got to the pits but unfortunately no garages available and had to find a spot in the rain!

Belts checked etc and we were out for some very slippery sighting laps, testing the levels of grip (not much!) with some acceleration and braking to get some heat into tyres and brakes rain still coming down, I need to sort the wipers as not enough clear screen imo with the single wiper, sighting laps over and a quick check over and out again, Ive never been to Bedford before and it was definitely a learning curve or two lol

Passed a few cars but coming up to the hairpin left I was to fast and to late on the brakes and had a 180 spin! Staying on the track though, get myself together and a few more laps and still in the middle section Im massively slower than others which is frustrating and just could not get it right

We had lunch and it had dried out a lot but with some slippery bits around the track but I seemed to have found my mojo! I had another spin at the left hander later on but was really pushing and just couldnt save it!

Perry in the old yellow Audi had a great day with a boost leak about 3pm and the seat blew the manifold to turbo gasket about the same time! Time to pack up and get home!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    sparrow likes this.
  5. notenoughtime

Ive also decided I need to get the white Audi built and been rummaging around my stores lol I have

Brembo 4 pots with new 323mm discs
    5 speed box
    Several 1.8T engines
    GT28 Turbo and manifold
    Decent intercooler
    Emerald ecu and loom

Just need to get the cage man to sort the cage obviously, full cage with door bars I have bought the tube already

Pair of driveshafts for the 5 speed

Remove the haldex and driveshafts and prop

Fit a lsd in the gearbox (mart)

Fit some decent front coilovers and polybush the wishbones

Fit seat and harness

sparrow likes this.
  6. notenoughtime

New G60 flywheel bolts arrived today from TPS

thought it would be a good idea to get the Audi in the workshop for tomorrow as I went to move it into the workshop and the driveshaft wasnt bolted in and the wheel fell off from the hub!

So had to get the forklift and put the car on a dolly in the pi**ing rain absolutely soaked through!

Ordered two new driveshafts and will get new bearings and ball joints sat morning

7. notenoughtime

Original driveshaft nut was seized solid and had to cut the nut off which requires a new drive flange which I had a spare of course!

Also Managed to get the intercooler mounted today and cut the front bumper to fit pipe work also, didn’t manage to get the engine in as seem to be missing the top engine mount will pick one up on Tuesday

8. notenoughtime

9. notenoughtime

What shall I do with holes where front number plate sits?

Cut out completely or round holes

10. gasco

gasco Paid Member Paid Member

Almost going to say you could replicate the audi rings but not sure that would work. My vote is for round holes.

11. notenoughtime

I did think about the rings but not easy to replicate I might have a go and if it doesn’t work I’ll cut the whole thing out

12. notenoughtime

852869F7-F461-4466-A7CD-FBD3EBB1FB97.jpeg

A brief update on the yellow car and the new boost hose from turbo has suffered from heat and blown, ordered a new one which I’ll wrap with some protective insulation

Brake pad where also changed for brembo again will see how long that last

Yellow car will be at brands for the day April 11th

13. notenoughtime

DAFBA6D8-0FA5-43B6-BC46-EDF133CB7853.jpeg 9E033ECE-CDE4-4FB9-A33C-8697F5FD1177.jpeg 8622C785-D199-49FA-A063-0D0D2989CAE0.jpeg

I thought I’d do an hour after work today on the white car

Rear o/s drive shaft removed and rear caliper mounted, front o/s drive shaft fitted and disc and brembo caliper mounted just need to order correct braided lines and needs a spacer to clear the calliper and fill the arch slightly I’ve also ordered some silver project top mounts to get full adjustment

Tomorrow I’m hoping I can remove n/s rear driveshaft and haldex unit and propshaft

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I see you are getting some time for yourself!

15. notenoughtime

Yes indeed but a case of having to otherwise nothing gets done does it! Plus the weather has warmed up a touch and enthusiasm kicks in with the lighter evenings rather than thinking ‘let’s get home to the warm and dry and sit on the sofa!’

1.8T_mk2 likes this.
  16. notenoughtime

Sorted the Seàt cupra manifold blow today and fitted 3 new bolts at the cost of £27 [eek]