Schrick 276 lift at TDC

Discussion in 'Engines' started by set_aui, Oct 23, 2003.

1. set_aui New Member

The spec says 2.1mm. My mechanic says that is way too much. Any thoughts? I guess I'm lucky I invested in the adjustable cam gear.

2. philip walker Forum Member

That cam will run well in a 1.8 engine....bit lumpy on the idle....You should not need a vernier pulley with that cam as its max lift is at 110 deg similar to the standard GTI cam....

3. jc.. Forum Member

4. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

When exactly do you need a vernier pulley? Have asked this question before but obviously theres nowt to reference to now! [:^(]

5. jc.. Forum Member

Vernier pulleys are useful when you need to retard or advance the ignition to avoid pinking or you want to move the power band up or down the rev range.

Most cams (non standard) should be bang time on when fitted otherwise they should be sent back!

Useful if you like messing around with the timing

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

What engine?
    8v 276 schrick #014.01.761-00 is 11.5mm max lift & 2.1mm lift @ tdc

16v 276 schrick #220.e1.761-01 is 11.5mm max lift & 2.4mm lift @ tdc

16v 276 schrick #220.a1.761-01 is 11.5mm max lift & 2.5mm lift @ tdc

regards
    bill

7. audiman

audiman Forum Member

Verniers dont adjust the ignition timing. Just the cam timing in relationship to the crankshaft. You then adjust the ignition timing as it is driven by the camshafts.

Standard pulleys are not accurate enough to get the cam timing spot on when using high lift cams. This is why you use verniers, so that you can move the cams a small amount to get them bang on.

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I would be very suprised if a 'performance' cam had the same cam timing specs to a std cam. I have fitted some shrick cams with a std (non vernier) camwheel but had to have the cams 3 degrees advanced from book specs so the cam belt would mesh with the camwheel - with a vernier you can get this spot on. Also, if you have had the block or cylinder head decked to increase the compression ratio, the cam will be spatially closer to the crank and thus, std cam settings will not be true any more - a vernier would be needed here also.

vernier cam wheels are very useful but they have been known to creep (lock bolts loosen I guess) and the cam timing goes off - the peg drive versions from Autotech in the US are the way to go as these cannot creep.

Cheers

Rob

9. NormanCoal Forum Member

Been there myself with the creeping vernier cam wheels - two of the allen bolts were found in the head, floating around!!! :o