Security Tips

Discussion in 'Security' started by Steve B, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Chrisrpal Events Team

I've been studying all about car security over the years. Yes the older cars were easy to steal back in the day but anyone who owns a mk1 or mk2 these days generally takes steps to avoid it going walkies.

Most mk1/ mk2's have modern engines and most probabaly modern chipped ECU's. If you wire it correctly you can use this function.

The rear door handle mod from a mk2 5door converted to fit the front on 5door or 3 door works great. As said on previous posts Cat 1 alarm with Proxy sensors, blackjax etc... However to be honest if a thief wants your car he'll put it on a flat bed and take it away that way.

Best security is a tracker.

http://www.trackingmycar.co.uk/tracker-monitor.php

One here for 179.

I would avoid cutting off the locking pins. If you are in a serious crash and power is cut off how are you going to break the glass and escape?. The fords have a dead lock system. They fail after time and in a crash the doors do not open.

Never leave your car on the hard shoulder alone if it breaks down. A friend who owned a R32 broke down and left it on the M25. A flat bed lorry came to pick it up. Most would think this is genuine, however it was not. The car was found two weeks later stripped to the shell. So never leave your car on the hard shoulder alone, wait on the grass verge for a tow from the RAC/AA.

Never leave keys near your letter box, however leave a dummy (fake) key down stairs to avoid the theif from wrecking your house trying to find it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

I have snap off steering wheel boss fitted to my mk2 with a momo wheel and thatcham alarm.

Park up, and put steering lock on and then remove wheel. Only some one who has the wheel can drive it away in theory, but its a bloody good deterrent as most thieves dont carry a spare wheel around with them or want to spend time taking your boss off to put on a standard steering wheel!

Good deterrent as each boss has unique location pins, the only problem is you look a right idiot walking about with it, like a lost racing driver??;)

Lotus elise had them as an option as below and only really applicable to non-airbagged cars

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Eli...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cdf97347d