Separating 5x100 axles from bearing carriers

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by MJA, Jan 1, 2022.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I'm buying some replacement bearing carriers (thanks @dodgy !) having eventually bent the casting on the drivers side of mine doing this job. I've spoken in passing to a couple of people and it seems the 5x100 driveshafts are particularly difficult to get out vs 4x100 and I am just wondering why that is and how it can be achieved in the future.

To date I have removed axles from other cars with just a few light taps of the axle with a standard hammer (with axle nut lightly screwed on).

With the 5x100 axles on my mk3 golf 16v - everything on the drivestrain and suspension is original crusty 27 year old components, wishhones, ball joints etc etc never removed - I have tried the following

1) Tapping axle with hammers, using heat - no chance

2) Cheap axle pusher, intially with a 1m long breaker bar but eventually with my impact gun (midrange Makita with 580nm). Did nothing to move the axle
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08GFT5RKN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3) 10ton Wheel hub press. I modified the handle as soon bent the lever. Did nothing to move the axle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252431874613

4) The drivers side I used my 20ton floor press to max pressure but maybe didn't support the cast bearing carrier well enough as all that happened was that I bent the casting. The axle did not budge. Given up on that one.

Having struggled for days on this it would be good to hear if there are any more options as I hate being beaten - would disassembling the CV joint somehow in situ help?

Cheers & Happy New Year
    Matt

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Just cut it off if you’re replacing them?

3. MJA

I am replacing everything component wise but I want to save the cast bearing carriers in future though. Unlike 4x100 they're not as readily available - you can buy fully refurbed and pre-built with bearings 4x100 for about £80 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-...-grXq7E6RAthOTgSSHP2ZniPdZQUKpkAaAuN5EALw_wcB

I'm likely to own another 5x100 car where I might have this problem in future.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

So is it getting outer cv out of drive flange?
    Knock cv off the end for better handling, then can heat inside of cv maybe as well, have had sticking before but usually a dose of penetrative fluid and heat with a 3 ear puller gets it moving.

5. MJA

Yes it's the bit that pokes through - outer CV to drive flange - well and truly stuck. I'll try knocking the end off on my passenger side just for practice really. My Corrado is 5x100 and I may end up needing to do this job if a bearing went.

6. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

What heat are you using?

7. MJA

That could be my weakness - propane torch I use for plumbing?

8. PhilRyder

You need MAP. Go and get a torch and canister from Screwfix or the like. I was amazed at the heat it generates, you can melt copper pipe in less time it takes propane to melt the solder!
    You need a new torch as the propane one won’t manage the MAP. You will get the carrier red hot.

9. PhilRyder

dodgy likes this.
  10. Adamss24 Forum Member

I had a couple on a Hyundai that even getting them cherry red with an oxy set didn’t get them moving ! Same with a few rear driveshafts off certain beemers (e39,etc) !

11. davidut5 Forum Member

Last one was on a traffic 2, broke at 30t heated on a 70t press.
    Am avut si ceva de spate de hyundai incapatanate. Am pus la presa butucul cu tot cu planetara, nu mai tin minte finalul.;)

Adamss24 likes this.