Sequential 02A build

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Brian.G, Jan 5, 2011.

1. jimk04 Forum Member

Lost me!

I'm struggling to build a 6 speed 02S up using off the shelf parts!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Dan, I know what your saying about the clusters/baulks all being in the one case, but, for me, its important for it to be all Vw. Its pretty much as simple as that, although tougher.
    As for ratios, its either the 02a or the 020, the 2y is limited also with fds, the aug, better, but its an 020, which as you know has its own problems after a certain point.
    I have an lsd here also for an 02a.
    I found the (cant remember what codes) 02as to be ok on the last golf where I ran a couple of different engines in.

3. danster Forum Addict

I totally understand that point if it must be VW and you already have the diff.
    Carry on. :thumbup:

4. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Any other manufacturers part under the bonnet is sacrilege in my eyes. Its ok if I make other bits myself though:thumbup::lol:

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Might be tricky to stop the oil coming out.....

6. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Not if its all machined/sealed nice:thumbup: Plus, its spray oil, not constant submersion. Theres grades for different conditions, I cant think what they are now though.
    Ill have to remember them all though when ordering the steppers/actuators. Id like to fit the reverse actuator inside the box for compactness/out of harms way.

Thats the plan anyway:lol:

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

This is proper bonkers - but good luck to you

I have 2 unrelated thoughts:

The actuation of these boxes can be done with 2 servos - fore/aft on the lever, and side to side. l am surprised no one has yet done this with push bottom control on the wheel

I don't really see the point of a drum selector unless you are going to use dog gears

8. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Im surprised too actually.
    As for the actuation, you still have all the levers inside, and all that slop to deal with when driving the forks from the top of the tower where cables go on box.
    Plus, the code for controllers would be more complex Id imagine with every change, and would take longer(minor issue as the syncros still need time, but still), and, Im far far better at making things than I am writing code:lol:

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

If you use a mk4-type 6 speed shift tower, which is actually a mag casting, and rose joint-ended cables, and bronze bush the selector forks, it's surprising how little slop there is. I have this on my dog box with a sequential shifter and it's as quick as your hand can move - you would certainly beat the synchros if it had them.

10. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

You still have to take your hand off the wheel to change gear though right?
    Id like to get away from that and use paddles on the wheel. I know the shifter mech you have, and it is nice, I looked at its design a lot. Its a very nice price too though, something I could not commit to:thumbup:
    However, going this route is more or less cost free bar minimal materials, and a few electronic bits, which, I have a vast collection of from the past 15 or so yrs.
    Its something to think about in the evenings too, I dont play golf:thumbup::lol:

So theres two setups that are used, one, uses just a drum, the forks slide on this drum, and are also controlled by the corkscrew groove in it, like the one below,

[​IMG]

And the other, as seen in the F1 box, it uses another pillar/shaft to mount the forks, and the drum to control them via the dowel pins.

Like so

[​IMG]

The first is compact, just one shaft for all. But from looking at it, it has its cons too.
    Given that all the forks are mounted on it, it carries the rotational drag of all them when turning, even though just one is moving. Id Imagine when it wears(If the fork bush did not) Then the whole thing would need replacing. This would not be the case with the other setup, where the pillar shaft could just be replaced on its own.

It would also need to be of uniform diameter, in order for the forks to slide on it. And cannot be lightened like a stand-alone drum could be.

Im thinking now, to get around the fact that 5th is on the other shaft, and away from my proposed pillar position a bit, is to mount the 5th gear fork on the end of the drum shaft, and not the pillar where the rest of them are mounted. A dowel pin arm could be brought down from the fork, and connect with its groove on the end of the drum.

Hmmmm

BG

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

There's no question, a proper drum setup like the second one you show is the way to go ultimately, my seqshift solution works well but it's not as good as a this.

I have been having discussions with a couple of firms to actuate my seqshift system with pneumatics - this will then be with buttons on the wheel

Have you seen the seq box from tractive? Beautiful design with a drum like your second pic.

12. danster Forum Addict

Have you got a link for that?

13. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Yup, spotted that, its tidy:thumbup:

14. m1keh Forum Member

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Tractive sd90

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I have a brochure here with some cracking pics in - need a scanner!

17. danster Forum Addict

Cheers folks, I thought there may have been a vid of it in action. Internal design / cutaway sort of thing. I did look at the site and saw the box but thought there may have been more.

Sorry for off topic Brian but thought it may have given folks an idea of how the drum and selector forks work.

18. m1keh Forum Member

19. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

No probs Danny, post away, thats what its all about too!

I like the approach they take with constructing a box, multi sided, almost cylindrical(cylinders have the best stiffness)
    Its almost like lego!

Heres the basic design, all there boxes follow these construction lines, fwd, or rwd.

[​IMG]

Bet to it by Mkeh!

20. m1keh Forum Member

Silly thing is stuff like this is oe spec on motorbikes. If only car designers had followed suit.