setting up mk1 golf

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by dubztubz, Aug 7, 2019.

1. dubztubz Forum Member

ive mk1 golf with k _jet system and abf block/kr head.i used mk2 scirocco 16v loom to power it along with its isv box/loom

been using tune up on here.but hit few problems

the red/black wire at coil when i unplug it the isv still powers up

the pong of fumes at exhaust is strong,ive set co2 @2% also 1.5%&1% still strong fumes.maybe its normal not sure

when car is hot and switch off and restart almost like a pink/knock noise from it

i did have a go years ago at wur mod,if drill bit hit the allen screw and put it way out can this cause the pong of fumes i wonder

thanks for any help
    dan

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes the isv will still buzz with red/black disconnected, just spark control unit wont try to correct any idle adjustments you make

before you go any further I would suggest you get yourself a fuel pressure test kit, then you can check if the wur is to blame or some other issue.
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-set-system-wur-fuel-pressure.81658/

also if you have a diy set of CO gauges forget it and go to a proper garage once you're sure everything else is tip top, or ideally for a proper tuneup by a man who knows kjet. I had a brand new gunsen co meter and used it to set my digifant to 1.8%, but when checked on professional equipment it was actually something like 0.1% and chucking lots of hydrocarbons out the back making it smell rich!

3. dubztubz Forum Member

have fuel pressure test kit so i'll check it over.car went for nct/mot last friday co2 is at 0.15% and HC 184PPM

4. rubjonny

I would ask if you had my old CO tester since it seems to have the same -1% or so error, only my mate ran it over with his car :lol:

5. dubztubz Forum Member

what should HC be for 16v

6. rubjonny

Dont worry about the HC too much, thaty'll sort itself out once the engien is tuned properly. What you want to look at is that CO figure, its very lean! Usually a tuned 16v on K-Jet will want to start around 1.8% give or take, possibly more depending exactly what its had done

7. dubztubz Forum Member

Checked fuel pressure . The wur seems to be set right,But system pressure is that little bit under 5bar.Should I try another washer or leave it

Attached Files:

8. dubztubz Forum Member

with engine off the pressure sits above 2.5 bar after 30mins

9. dogzila Forum Member

It's normal fuel pressure. 4,7-5,4bar.
    Engine off pressure is OK. Mine keeps 3 bar 2-3 weeks [:D]

10. dubztubz Forum Member

thanks

11. rubjonny

yeah pressures look ok, did you watch the control pressure from stone cold up to operating temp?
    Clipboard01.jpg

if all is well tweak the warm control pressure using the allen key in the back shown in the WUR guide above, then get the CO set to 1.8-2% :)

12. dubztubz Forum Member

Is wur to be set to 3.4 to 3.8

13. rubjonny

between 3.4 and 3.8 is factory spec for the WUR, but you can tweak it a bit as per the WUR mod thread I linked to earlier :)

if you take it to a proper kjet wizard they'll fine tune wur, timing and co figures to get the very best out of it. factory specs not much good when you've fitted a 2.0 engine!

For me 1.8% co, 48psi wur and 8 degrees ignition timing got me good results on my ABF engine. I would have taken it to a pro if I was keeping it kjet but it was just fitted temporarily while I sourced all the parts to convert it to digifant managment

14. dubztubz Forum Member

the wur is set to 48psi its in 2nd pic above.timing is tricky the diamond wanders about when trying to set it

15. dubztubz Forum Member

C02 meter is had it I’d say.having to set the co2 using manual guide here.on my meter when I increase the co2 the needle moves down rather than up .retest for mot/nct is next Friday I’ll ask them to check it again

16. dubztubz Forum Member

was able to set timing yesterday eve,not easy as rubber intake boot and fuel lines get in the way.down the line i may go efi
    are parts hard got

17. rubjonny

oem ABF management isn't too hard to get, or skip it and go aftermarket if you like :)

18. dubztubz Forum Member

whats parts is needed for oem abf

i rang engine tuner with rolling road he's booked out till end of september

19. rubjonny

inlet manifold with throttle body & fuel rail, 2x knock sensors, crank sensor, ecu + loom, associated inlet pipework, ecu temp sensor & inlet temp sensor. Not a great deal really. If you keep em peeled on ebay can get most of it cheap. I swapped all my old kjet stuff for abf bits back in the day

20. dubztubz Forum Member

looking on ebay last for days some prices are nuts for bits.suppose to keep looking is key