Simons 89 small bumper 8v fixup thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Simon Peter Dodgson, Mar 29, 2019.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Red/white, brown/white and green/black? Those will have mating plugs in the engine harness

2. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

DSC_1110.JPG DSC_1107.JPG DSC_1109.JPG DSC_1108.JPG Got these. Where I think they would go

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  3. rickygolf83 Forum Member

Some amount of mess you have had to fix there!

4. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

It's old and who knows what has been done before by others. Rj is A GODSEND in helping me keep this on the road

5. rickygolf83 Forum Member

Yeah, a wiring genius! Amazing how much damage a few previous owners can cause to a cars loom!

6. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Luckily studied telecommunications and electronic engineering. 800 pair cable with 400 white wires ain't fun

7. rickygolf83 Forum Member

have you managed to get it out a drive yet?

8. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Oh gosh yes. Mot'd running and driving but I leave the under dashboard in bits to attend to any new issues. Hopefully I can close it up and put it to bed soon. With the sachs adjustable rock-hard dampers it will kill an AUDI on a roundabout until the 185 tyres give up the sideways grip.

But that's part of the fun with no abs, airbag, safety features, and so small and low so I'm dwarfed by suv Chelsea tractors. It's what fun driving is about

9. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Anybody know who does spare toad laserkey immobiliser fobs as I only have one with new loom

10. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Anyone know what colours the wires are to mfa outside temp sensor on 89 ce1 small bumper? I can't find the sensor in the wing or behind bumper.
    Also my oil temp (black green wire) is not working. Continuity to clocks from sensor end is OK. What is approx resistance of sensor at room temp?

11. muppet9966 Forum Member

I believe I fitted an inline fuse to the power of this loom years ago to prevent this.
    Fuse is located near the accelerator pedal :)

12. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Found the wire plug nsf. White/red and brown/white. No sign of temp sensor though

13. rubjonny

oil temp wont read till oil is at least 50 degrees, to verify wiring short wire to earth and it should read max temp. note mk1/2 oil temp sensor is different to mk3.

for outside temp its clipepd inside the passenger wing under the battery tray, probably fallen off and lost. part number is 171919379A, if you cant find one part number 357919379 is compatible but you need to change the plug. note grey sensor part number 357919379A will NOT work, its got to be the earlier g60/corrado/passat black one 357919379

14. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

No joy on oil temp display reading anything earthing the wire even though it has continuity to ce1 clock plug. The temp sensor ambient in the wing is missing in action can't find one online. If anyone has one spare would purchase it off you.
    Oh replaced the oil pressure sender on the oil cooler as it was leaking. Turns out it wasn't screwed In. The oil temp sensor in front has a snapped terminal where the spade connector slides onto it

Also some interesting Vacumn hose setup pics

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    erreesse likes this.
  15. rubjonny

16. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

It's mine!
    Not sure why there is 3 pieces in the photo though.
    Thanks anyway RJ.
    Any idea if vac hoses on the throttle body are wrong.? Want to do digifant tune

17. rubjonny

yeah hoses are a little funky. cap off the nipple on the rear of the throttle body using a short piece of rubber line with a bolt in it. do the same for the one on the front closest to the rubber boot. run the nipple closest to the inlet straight to the fuel pressure regulator, and bin off the pipe to the airbox. the one on the brake servo hose is for the MFA clocks, its correct but it looks like its got a split in the middle bridged with a short run of hose, might as well remove that and fit a slightly longer rubber hose instead

18. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Thanks Rj have replaced the little hoses with new soft nitro radio control car fuel hose and run a hose from TB RHS nipple straight to the fpr without connecting to air box and blanked the rear and front LHS TB nipples. found a small hole in the TB to airbox hose corrugation folds where a cable may have rubbed through on top of it in the past. Sealed it up to see how it ran:

OMG THE HESITATION AND MISFIRE/BACKFIRING ON ACCELERATING AND BUCKING AROUND IDLE HAS GONE!

Pleased to announce that just earthed the green black wire to base of new clean metal oil pressure sender whilst videoing clocks and got 160 degrees on mfa!
    Now mpg to sort as its 11. Airleak on hose I suspect

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  19. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Whilst oil temp sensor is on order I thought I might start my ce2 non mfa stalk to ce1 mfa stalk conversion. Mfa stalk is longer so some fettling to be done. If it works I will be a very happy man.

Attached Files:

20. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Dashboard and fusebox and everything connected under dash including foglight and working.
    Then cleaned it

Attached Files: