Simons 89 small bumper 8v fixup thread

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Simon Peter Dodgson, Mar 29, 2019.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good work :thumbup:

2. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Thank you RJ. Whilst adjusting idle I noticed my radiator fan warms my legs. IT actually blows FORWARD out the grille Haha. Some relay shenanigans connected in loom previous to me.

3. rubjonny

i had the same in my 1.6 driver, some chump had forced the fan plug on the wrong way round :thumbup:

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  4. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

The clip is underneath in stead of on top Turned it round 180 degrees. Bridged switch blows correctly now.

5. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

DSC_1635.JPG DSC_1630.JPG Oh another vacumn leak. Green cap on feed to servo the end has crumbled off. Hard to spot. I accidentally put my finger over end and it sucked it
    Capped it off idle a lot lower now.

Ediit blanked off the vacuum feed to the mfa for now as when you fold pipe into a kink idle changes. Need to pull clocks to investigate pipework or mfa diaphragm.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  6. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

As the golf is doing 100 miles a day as a service engineer vehicle I took it in for wheel balancing today.
    Think I found my creak noise. And possibly why my bonnet is pushing upwards. What are meyle like?

DSC_1633.JPG DSC_1632.JPG DSC_1634.JPG

7. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Strut top mount day. Front appears 20mm higher with new mount. Genuine 2004 part taken off and replaced with meyle. Also found my suspension is sachs krypton with adjustable damping at top of strut.
    DSC_1638.JPG DSC_1637.JPG

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  8. rubjonny

the original mk2 mount would have looked like the meyle one in 2004, its just been completely squidged :lol:
    stdmk2.jpg stdmk2bottom.jpg

9. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Haha. With the ride height I am considering reattaching the front spoiler as it wasn't making it over some speed bumps!

10. rubjonny

dont be too hasty, the front will probably drop a bit over the next few weeks or so. I put an eibach kit on mine as i thought the boge springs had sagged a bit. day i did it, yep nose deffo a little higher. but within a week or so, back to exactly the same as it was before :lol:

11. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Thanks Rj seems to be doing that already.

Fitted a stainless exhaust adapter from front pipe to rear section as my scorpion Heavy middle and rear silencer oval exhaust is 9cm too short with welded joints and keeps pulling apart in the front to middle section. Also correct size clamps help!
    Fitted new parcel shelf straps too. One of the smaller jobs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280699898376

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  12. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

DSC_1667.JPG DSC_1663.JPG DSC_1665.JPG DSC_1664.JPG Today the pack of oil temp sensors arrived.

Attached Files:

13. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Then I started on the milky spotlights. Came out much improved.
    DSC_1668.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  14. rubjonny

ah well thats handy, I thought it was only for one so you got a bargain there even if the 3rd blue one has no place on a mk2 :lol: looking at the part number 0824121058 seems to be a merc part

15. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Will put the second one on ebay and recoup costs. Oddly if I pull the handbrake up showing light on dash it can drop mfa oil temp 10 to 40 degrees. So 140 becomes 102.

Attached Files:

16. rubjonny

sounds like poor earth. the cluster has a male spade hanging off it with 2 brown wires in, this should be plugged into a female brown/white spade which earths to the head so check that.

you should have a white 4 way earth block on the end of your headlight loom, out the back of it is a brown wire which plugs into the earth claw above the fusebox. in the front you should have a thick brown from the white engine loom plug, one from the dash wiring and another from the rear loom. in a nutshell if a wire has a brown spade housing on it then it goes to the white earth block, if its plain or has a clear housing it goes to the claw

17. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Thanks Rj. Well explained! Will look.

More good news. MPG WORKS!
    Goes up as well as down if you floor it. First time I've seen it working in this car after sealing the air leak on the motometer cluster diaphragm. Still haven't been able to reset unless remove power from clocks and is stuck on total not trip.
    DSC_1693.JPG

18. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Started the ce1 non mfa driver stalk to ce2 mfa conversion now I have a gti dash loom and don't want to pay £200 for a second hand one

DSC_1696.JPG DSC_1697.JPG DSC_1694.JPG DSC_1695.JPG

19. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Oh and check your fuel flow and return hoses. 1995 and you could smell the petrol through the cracks!
    Oddly it runs better now? Must have disturbed something else.

Attached Files:

20. Simon Peter Dodgson Forum Member

Mfa stalk conversion completed.

Attached Files: