sorry but i don`t understand the relays

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by andreme, Oct 15, 2020.

1. andreme New Member

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Your pictures aren't appearing for me, but tell us what car/engine you have as a starting point. If you can't get images to display, just tell us which relays (the numbers printed on them) you have fitted in the various possible positions shown there. note that the page you linked shows the position number of the relays (in the lower table), not the numbers that are printed on them.

3. andreme New Member

i have a 1.6 post 90 with air conditioning, the link and both pictures are the same, i tried to upload like i do in everyforum but it didn't work

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

So starting at position 2, you have a No.72 relay - rear washer/wiper. Position 4 you have load reduction relay No.18. Position 6 you have a No.21 indicator/hazard lights relay. Position 8 you have a No.19 for the front wipers. Position 10 you have a free wire, can't remember what it does but my 1.6 had the same. Position 11 you have a link instead of a relay because the single/simple horn on the non-GTi doesn't need a relay. Position 12 you have a no. 1 relay that controls the 'hedgehog' preheater on the underside of the inlet manifold.
    In position 15, above the main group you have a No.31, which I vaguely think might be to control radiator fan after-run if the thermoswitch on the carburettor indicates that there's a good chance of vapour-lock conditions due to high under-bonnet temperature after shutdown. Alternatively it might be to do with the aircon.

Questions? Problems?

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

In RJ's wonderful Fusebox FAQ in the electrical section there's a very handy index of relay (printed) number versus function: Fusebox FAQ

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

link wire is power output from headlight switch for the rear fogs on poverty spec cars without front fogs. front fog cars theres a relay there instead

the bentley manual relay/fuse list isnt quite right since its for US spec cars, and they dont have carb engines over there. in my guide above you have the relay/fuse layout near the top, then down the bottom is a chart of relay numbers and their functions. I've put links in the 1st post to make life easier :)

7. andreme New Member

Thank you very much to everyone, let's see if when i start to work on my little golf i can make some photos about the process, here in spain, i guess it's kinda different that in other parts of europe, to make the swap i have to pay a lot (like 500 euros without taxes) and everything has to be of the donant, exhaust, gearbox and admission