sportline with a 1.8t: problem!!

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by harryvr6, Nov 19, 2021.

1. harryvr6 Forum Member

hi all hope all is well,

long story short, friend of mine has bought a 1.8t converted mk1 sportline cab. He has driven it and it was fine, but he has always been aware of untidy wiring near the passenger footwell (i assume it was this side of the car)
    anyway he has attempted to push the wiring up to tidy it up temporarily, trouble is now it wont run at all.
    He has been involved in a very bad motorbike accident and currently isnt in a position to get the car fixed.
    he has managed to send me a few pics and i said i would ask on here on his behalf, hes a very long time, multiple mk1 golf gti owner and he loved his current cab, i think it would be a massive boost if this turns out to be a simple fix . If anyone could possibly help it would be massively appreciated

i thought the plug looked like something obvious like an engine loom plug but im clueless in the grand scheme of things!

IMG-20211118-WA0004 IMG-20211118-WA0004.jpg IMG-20211118-WA0002.jpg IMG-20211118-WA0001.jpg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

many thanks indeed, stew

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The plug is a diagnostic connector / EOBD plug.

It sounds like he's just disturbed a wire or connector when he shoved the wiring.

3. harryvr6 Forum Member

hi mate many thanks for your reply
    it should be a simple fix then ? apparently its a decent conversion but the wiring is a worry if its as easy as this to disturb it.
    what could he have disturbed in your opinion to stop the car from running?
    many thanks again
    stew (harryvr6)

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I Don't know tbh, with that engine, he must have an ECU somewhere, could that be up behind the dash?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

only way to know is get under and take a look, if its a well made loom it'll be an easy fix maybe just an ignition or live spade fallen out of the fusebox spades. if its a poorly made one you might find all kinds of horror once you look

6. bonus85 Forum Member

I've been there before staring at a mess of wires not knowing where to start!
    Start with the basics
    Firstly - check no fuses have blown. Go get a code reader too and use that OBD port.
    Check any earths aren't loose.
    Are you getting ignition lights on your dash? If not then focus on the ignition switch circuit.
    If you have lights but no starter motor power focus on that circuit
    If you're engine is turning but not firing then take a look at the spark and injection stuff.
    Then I think I'd hunt for loose and unknown connections.

7. harryvr6 Forum Member

thankyou everyone for the help ive passed the info on and hopefully it will be up and running soon