SQS sequential shifter for 02a/j

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by RobT, Apr 25, 2009.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

dog box or synchro?

The SQS-E is recommended for synchro and thats more expensive, but has electromagnetic assistance for shifting

I will be fitting it in next few weeks so will stick some pics up of the process and all bits etc. Looks easy - there is a billet ali base plate that needs to be fitted to the car tunnel with 4 m8 rivnuts - the lever box bolts ontop of this. Cables and box tower are modified stock VW (of a certain later model type - pics later). Wiring needs power and earth so should be straightforward. Famous last words :lol: [8(]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. stan1610 New Member

Thanks Rob, it's a syncro box 02A cable change fitted to Audi 1.8 turbo 20 valve, AGU engine code in my Mk 2 golf trackday car. I'll look forward to your further postings with photo's. I see you live in Cheshire, I'm in Shropshire, perhaps I could come over and have a look?

regards, John

3. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

maybe you would be better off with the SQS-E then, but its about another 300 euro. No probs if you want to come and have a look.

4. stan1610 New Member

Rob,

What are you fitting it to?

Cheers John.

5. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Mk2 (1996) 2L 16V Ibiza with 6 speed 02a SQS dog-box

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

That shifter has come on a bit since I had mine.. way back when..
    would love to run one again if regs allowed. superb bit of kit especially when mated to their box of gears

nice one rob..
    snick snick.. muah ha ha ha haaaaa

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Update:

Tunnel is prepped to accept shifter mounting plate - a laser-cut ail plate that bolts to the tunnel with 4 bolts and then the shifter bolts on top - below just before drilling holes

[​IMG]

Shifter is fitted with stock Mk4 golf cables that have been modified on the box end by using a die to put an M6 thread on the end:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

02a box tower has been replaced with mag alloy Mk4 golf tower and cables will be attached using steel rod-ends modified to accept M6-threaded cables. This does away with the crap plastic stock cable ends.

[​IMG]

Mk4 tower also has some mods internally to weld up some detents that are not required with the seqshift lever.

To be contined.....

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Bill is this the bit that broke on yours once when i was watching you at Combe?

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

latest

tunnel prepped and primered:
    [​IMG]

mounting plate bolted in:
    [​IMG]

tunnel hole sealed with ali plate/silicone and some heat mat:
    [​IMG]

shifter in and gear indicator mounted and wired up:
    [​IMG]

looks ace from the driving seat [:D] and feels good to use, very positive (limited to my road only upto now though - proper test very soon now)

going in next week to have ignition module wired in for flat shifting, new windscreen, MOT, play time :thumbup:

10. NormanCoal Forum Member

looks awesome rob, bet it will make a real difference to your times in competition as well

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That's proper Bo is that!!

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Latest:

Car passed MOT yesterday and had the ignition-cut module fitted. I can only describe the shift quality as awesome - tried a few clutchless shifts on the way home and it slid in like a hot knife through butter - superb. Ignition cut time is currently set at maximum 200ms but I have been advised by SQS last night that 100-130ms might be better - so need to try this out as it depends on how fast you move the lever really - the ignition cut time starts when you start to load the lever so its very sensitive.

Going to give it a few more miles today and then drop the cheap box running in oil to get rid of any bits from the build and then stick the Redline shockproof oil in.

Then to a track, hahahahahahahahahahaha!

13. Alfonzo bonzo Forum Member

Very very nice, how quick does it change gear? as in could you change gear just as fast without it? this just never misses a shift?

14. deepdishtj Forum Member

What a peice of kit :clap:

15. 12valver Forum Member

Very nice piece of kit! :thumbup:

16. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

speaking from experience of a few dog boxes and the SQS shifter, there are two things going on.

Dogbox is much faster gearchange, especially when your engine likes to rev and synchro's cannot keep up.

Add a nice fast changing sequential gear lever, so the now, very close gears *(close by nature of motorsport shifter as well as ratio), cannot be mis-grabbed.

top gear..
    I'm not envious at all - lol

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

This will change as fast as you can move the lever and does not baulk at high revs like a synchro box. Hopefully, missed shifts should be a thing of the past.

Billo - you need one in your life to go with your SQS box.

18. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Rob, video please with some manical laughter!

19. Alfonzo bonzo Forum Member

Very nice, bet that box wasnt cheep tho either.

What a mod!!!

20. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

none of it is cheap [8(], and I am now poor [8(], but you only live once and I think its great! :thumbup: [:D]

I'm afraid I'm one of those sad types that had all the gears laid out on the lounge coffee table for about a week, looking at them, touching them, nice gears....:lol: . Lucky my wife is very understanding eh :lol: