Starter motor problem

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Adam peachey, May 5, 2020.

1. Adam peachey Forum Member

No it did work, but not now, funny enough the problem with starter happened at same time, what do you think?

2. Adam peachey Forum Member

Hi m8, I checked &alarm not working!!I think both problems happened at the same time, do you think it is the ignition switch?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

it depends how the alarm was installed, if its been set up to cut cranking power then it could be the module is starting to fail and is intermittently bridging power to cranking live when it shouldn't.

you just swap over the ignition switch on the back of the ignition housing, the lock, key and reader are left alone :)

to do the job you pull the wheel, steering trims, stalks then loosen but dont remove 2 screws and switch slides out. as I say plug the new switch into the loom first and turn it with key to make sure it is actually the problem before you mess about stripping the car down fully

Adam peachey likes this.
  4. Adam peachey Forum Member

Would a code reader show the problem?as have m8 with one,many thanks for your help, much appreciated

5. Adam peachey Forum Member

&its a original alarm .the light flashes but no alarm, it worked when i got the car but not now, with the starter problem, I think you're right about getting a new ign switch

6. rubjonny

Ah ok it's not alarm then if it's original VW one as those are not tapped into cranking power. If you scan it for fault codes with vagcom and check measuring blocks that should help you figure out what's wrong with it at least

Adam peachey likes this.
  7. Adam peachey Forum Member

Many thanks, Adam

8. Adam peachey Forum Member

Hi m8, just had my m8 round with his code reader, there were 6 codes, but he was wiggling the ignition after &couldn't get the starter to get whirring, do you think a new ignition switch would sort this out, alarm had a fault code?looks like a cheap fix and do able to change ignition switch, please any thoughts, ta adam

9. Adam peachey Forum Member

Hi guys, had my golf put on a code reader, &through up 6 odd codes, would a faulty ignition switch do these probs &alarm is not working, any ideas please, ta Adam

10. davidut5 Forum Member

As this is an intermittent fault its a little hard to diagnose. What code were read?
    Ignition switch could definitely do these problems, i believe even ignition barrel/lock cylinder could be at fault for not returning completely.
    A faulty starter motor is most common but not compatible with noise going away after unplugging start wire plug. An electrician could test all components and find the problem.

Adam peachey likes this.
  11. Adam peachey Forum Member

Thanks m8, i think it must be the ignition switch, my m8 found half a dozen wierd codes of faults, he also thinks it is switch, had heated mirrors, intern light,heated mirror??coolant, oil temp,yet car runs pukka, so gutted, paid top money for age, but low mileage and 1 owner, full s,h,allways loved golfs, especially the 2ltr gti, torquey engine, just want it normal, il order a switch as its a cheap fix, il try what you said, connect new switch and use screw driver to test, b4 pulling the plastics off?is that right? &my m8 said it can be changed without taking s,wheel off??is that right??ta for all advice, really appreciated,

12. Adam peachey Forum Member

Codes p0118 ,00532 signal low, 01039 coolant, g266 oil temp,00953 ,01135 ,09944,heated mirror, but not sure he typed the right model, as there were 3 2ltr gti, s any thing you can see will help, if you ever need advice on carpets?im ya man

13. rubjonny

the codes you have could all be really old, certainly non of them would be anything to do with the starter motor issue you're having. I only mention alarm in case you had an aftermarket type installed, as those are often tapped into starter motor to immobilise the car. if its all factory alarm then its nothing to do with that, and the intermittent nature of your problem is pointing to the ignition switch most likely :)

with the codes you see clear them all and drive the car for a week or so, see which if any come back. our bora had all kinds of random codes for mirrors, speakers etc but were all really old codes and non of them came back after clearing except for a couple engine ones

14. Adam peachey Forum Member

Many thanks, I have a new switch coming 2moz, I'm positive the alarm is original.i let you know how it goes, can the switch be changed without taking s wheel off?many thanks Adam

15. rubjonny

need to have the wheel off yep, but as I say before you actually change it plug the new one in and turn with screwdriver :)

16. Adam peachey Forum Member

Will do,ta again

17. Adam peachey Forum Member

Oh,jonny another thing that might help, when started &its whirring if i while car is in motion, turn ignition off, then back on &bump while moving &it nearly allways fixes it??thats got to be switch?what you think?thanks so much for your help,

18. rubjonny

pretty sure its the switch yep, if it stops whirring when you unplug the starter all it can be is wiring fault or switch :)

19. Adam peachey Forum Member

Yer the pulling plug off is intermittent, but bumping while moving seams to do it, many thanks

20. Adam peachey Forum Member

Hi m8, just found out what the whining noise is, secondary air pump!! Got a fault as it goes on and of, &its running lean &rich?,so it must be air hose leak or combi valve or solenoid?what you think? Ta Adam