Starter Motor - Won't Turn Over

Discussion in '8-valve' started by blu-tak, Jan 29, 2022.

1. blu-tak Forum Member

Hi,

I fitted a new starter motor, but it's symptoms are exactly the same as the previous one. Car primes all fine, but won't turn over, or solenoid click at all.

I was wondering what the fuse is for the starter, in case it has blown?:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I fitted the new starter, I also fitted a new front engine mount, and noticed these two loose cables. Anyideas?
    Located near to the blue & black temp sendor cabling, not far from knock sensor cable.

[​IMG]

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

If you join the big heavy battery cable post on the starter to the small wire, does it spin over?
    If it does, you've a wiring issue, like a dodgy key switch or something.

If it doesn't, you have either a bad starter, bad battery or bad earth possibly.

blu-tak likes this.
  3. blu-tak Forum Member

Just to clarify, If I take the spade connector and touch it against the 'big heavy battery cable post' the starter should start without the key turned?

4. Tristan

No, you need to loop something between the big one and the spade coming out of the solenoid.

I usually use an open ended spanner or similar. If you use a piece of wire, it's entirely possible it could overheat in your hand.

NOT just pulling the small wire off its terminal and touching it to the big one.

NB!,,

MAKE SURE IT IS OUT OF GEAR!

blu-tak likes this.
  5. Tristan

By looping those 2, you are in effect ruling out all the other wiring, such as keyswitch, X relay etc.

blu-tak likes this.
  6. blu-tak Forum Member

I think I've got it.
    One last Q - can I leave the normal cable going to the spade disconnected (floating in mid air).

Edit - YES

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  7. blu-tak Forum Member

I had connected the thin red cable to the wrong spade, I had it on the spare/empty one you see below (even though previous starter was like this)

I then connected as per this photo - to spade below main battery lead and it starts on the key!

I first discovered this with the spanner short trick, got a little spark on bottom spade, but not the top spade and thought, hey, if I hold spanner on bottom spade longer will it start, and it did.

Thankyou tristan!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  8. Tristan

Well, no thanks needed, you figured it out on your own!
    Well done.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the starter with 2 spades is for kjet, 2nd spade is for the cold start system and as you found out styarter wont crank if you mix em up.

the 2 snapped wires are 1.8 bar oil switch (yellow) and MFA oil temp sensor (green/black) and both are on the oil filter housing. the oil switch is the larger of the 2. and there are no fuses for the starter its wired direct from ignition switch thru the fusebox