Starting at the beginning!

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Andy325i, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Andy325i New Member

Hi guys, not been on here for a while due to selling the golfs, but alas the other half now has a Polo that needs some TLC.

It's a 1996 1.4 What model would this make it? 6N etc?

What engine code is it and what gearbox code?

Any help appreciated.

Today I've done:

Oil and filter, air filter and plugs.

Gearbox/ wheel bearing sounded noisy and upon checking it looks like the n/s output shaft seal is leaking.

Where is the fill level on the gearbox? Is it a case of removing the reverse light switch? And what grade of oil should be used?

Many thanks for filling in any of the blanks

Andy

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah its a 6n polo, as for engien and box you need to check this yourself as there are a few it could be, same place as golf in the boot or inside cover of service book, or on the engine somewhere. sometimes the engine code is on top of the cam belt cover. not sure where its stamped on the small block lump/box im sure someone can help there

for filling id use speedo hole, the reverse light switch would be a bit awkward. the proper fill/level check hole i think is similar to mk2 golf look or a 17mm hex bung on the side somewhere

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  3. Andy325i New Member

Thanks John, all sorted, 17mm hex on the side of the diff :-) Put 3/4 of a litre in so guessing as it still had some in that it will be new gearbox time soon. The joys!