Steering Wheels

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by PhilRyder, Feb 27, 2022.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

We have been searching for steering wheels but it’s a bit of a minefield when it comes to what fits what.
    Searching the internet doesn’t bring up anything definitive so I thought perhaps a single source resource would be helpful.
    To start it would be good to clarify what size splines come on which year VW.
    I measured ours today which is a 1991 model Golf and it has a 26mm spline. I was going to count the number of splines but my eyes are not that good.
    As the information comes in I’ll update this first page.
    So which steering wheels, from any marque, have you found that fits which spline in which model of VW?

1991 Mk2 Golf large spline 26mm.

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

From what I understand, anything vag related from about 91 on uses the bigger spline.
    Mk3 golf, polo 6n, passat etc.
    Audi, porsche and Seat too.
    Problem is getting the horn to work, later stuff uses a slip ring with airbag function at least usually.
    Early mk3 was non airbag so straight fit, you know more about porsche than me @PhilRyder , so unsure of 944, 911 production period etc myself and what they came with.
    The TT on mine was not a straight swap, and needed a spacer and slip ring from the mk2 to get horn working, airbag removed completely just incase the myth of static setting one off is true.
    I know if you went that route you could easily 3d print the spacer for the ring, mk6 or 7 gti wheel would be nice, even flat bottom option.
    Vw up has a cheap flat btm wheel, could get one leather trimmed, dremel a slight recess for the stitching on spokes and talk nice to people with dead cow.
    Other option is to remove the spline adaptor and you then get the original small spline, sure someone can confirm that, 924 wheel possible then.

Attached Files:

3. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Well if the Corrado fits, then this non airbag model Mk3 Golf was a straight fit onto my Corrado

Attached Files:

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

here's how you tell if your car is big or small spline. the changeover was 1988 sometime and that includes Cabrio and Scirocco. Original spline top, adaptor below:
    splinetypes.jpg

5. watercooled Forum Member

Phil,remember trying my 89MY 944 4 spoke leather wheel ,fitted the spline however didn't appear indicators would work as the control parts are special to this wheel as per MY,all the early 944's were a MK1 VW column parts so there my be a crossover to stalk controls...not sure however.
    Cheers.

PhilRyder likes this.
  6. Adamss24 Forum Member

i have what i believe its either a scirocco gti or corrado gti steering wheel in both my mk2 diesel and a t4 transporter. In the mk2 gtd i have a votex steering wheel off a urs4 quattro(replaced a wooden steering wheel) A98B9FB1-41FD-4411-8522-86622F4E19E8.jpeg 86FD9CBD-6F65-46D6-B0B4-A4819E0976CF.jpeg E61F82B7-E86D-44CF-B1F6-7F4754CE61E9.jpeg 4FFA08B5-2474-4CB3-A706-5C4039DD8EFB.jpeg In the petrol mk2 gti i have a victor steering wheel however it makes parking and driving a pain... will put pictures shortly...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    PhilRyder likes this.