STILL not idleing right, loosing the will now!!!!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by planetxking, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's your charge light. I'd say your alternator isn't quite charging enough at low revs. My Mk2 did that for about 2 years and never caused a problem.

2. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

yeah it isn't a new development, didn't think it was anything major!

could it be an ecu problem perhaps? is there a method to checking the electrical systems? have changed the ignition system aside from the coil, should be getting my new blue temp sensor tomorrow, any others?

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

It's not the ECU - nothing to do with the charge light.

4. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

oh yeah i know that, i meant as a separate issue? have put over a hundred miles on it now and still the same, the MPG is more realistic now, and i realised that i think i changed the black temp sender for the wrong one so think that is why the temp wasn't getting past a quater way, but still a bit rough.

so wondering about the electrical systems now

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Your alternator is getting a bit tired. Mine worked for years like that. When it first started doing it, I bought a spare and waited for it to fail, and waited... and waited.

6. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

how's your fan belt?

7. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

ok, so i got really paranoid at the end of last week, so had it into awesome GTI on friday, turns out it looks like the CO2 meter i have is S**T, they had it on their big posh one and it was that low it was off the scale!!! opps[:$]

also the ISV is on its way it would seem, so i need one of them too, but it was nice to have some peace of mind that it isn't anything really sinister!

while it was their jeff the engineer (top bloke) put it on the rollers to give it a proper tune, he was going to re map it but didn't have any of the right chips in, but from last time it was rolled it made 112bhp, this time it was 123.7bhp with headwork, light cam, and manifold, so i'm fairly please with that!

will get a vernier pully in a couple of months and take it back for the remap, to get the fueling right and dial in the cam timing perfectly.

so, if anyone has a spare working ISV please let me know!!!

cheers for all the help too guys, especialy you mike

8. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

MY GOD! Still something wrong!

so on the way back from having it tuned at Awesome GTI the oil pressure warning came on, no prob, pulled over had a look at oil, was ok, so was really cautious on way home but thought it would b e fine as it was very intermitent, put it down to a foulty sensor, couple of days ago got a new VAG white 1 pin pressure sensor and sure enough the warning was cured!

BUT...now the car was idleing like S$$T from cold, the best way i could describe it would be that it sounded like an Impreza when you rev'd it. and then after about 3-5 min it would settle down and sound like normal etc. and it now sounds like a scooby everytime i start it from cold!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me end this toil!

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Double check the timing... maybe it's moved. Did Awesome play with it at all? If so, maybe they forgot to tighten up the dizzy clamp.

Suggest you give the ISV a soak in paraffin too.

Did you already change the blue temp sender?

10. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

yeah, Awesome gave it a full proper setup as per guide in FAQ. and everything was bang on when it left,

the ISV i have swaped for another one, and i soaked it and cleaned it up nice before i fitted it today, the idle has improved interms of it not dipping and rising etc, but it just sounds really lumpy, sounds like a scooby. but as soon as it gets warm, not even to temp, it evens out, so it cant be timing

yeah it has a new VAG blue temp sender.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Lumpy idle is often retarded timing...worth double checking that it hasn't slipped.

I'm struggling to think of anything else constructive.

Check the earths are tight

Check the contacts on the ECU

Check all the connector plugs are tight and the wires aren't broken.

12. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

i dont wish to sound dismissive, but surely non of those things can apply, it is only crappy when cold, after about 5mins its fine, it idles at the right speed etc its just when you rev it, when cold, it sounds like a lawnmower or a scooby, then it slowly just gets all smooth and normal again!

it just isn;t right

13. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

ok, so i have stood staring at it for most of this morning occasionally leaning down to check somthing. i really can't get my head round it,

what, when the engine is cold would make it sound like it is skipping a beat, and when the engine is warm would be fine?????

14. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

i just had a word with a friend who sugested that it could just be that i have put a longer duration cam in, that it sounds a bit funny when cold?

is there any sense in that comment?

it is a newmans 268deg cam, and Awesome tuned it and set the timming on it.

15. nimbus dare Forum Member

had similar and it was the coil.

16. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

what and when driving the car drove fine? it really does puzzle me!

i have also today read somwhere that putting a different cam in can affect the MAF too??? any truth in that and if so, what is the remidy?

17. moretorque Forum Member

Hi.
    Have you spoken to awesome about it?

18. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

yeah but it is a bit fuetile becasue it is a cold start issue, and by the time i get there the car will need leaving over nite to cool down etc, plus i can't afford teh time or the money to get them to do anymore to it at the min, and it needs a new oilpump that i have to do this weekend, once i have sorted that then i might be in a position to take it back! but i'm sure it should be something fairly simple that i can fix, i just dont know what it is, teh timming is spot on, the idle is spot on, the CO2 is spot on, the ISV has just been swoped for a bettercondition one that i cleaned so i dont know what else i'm left with

19. moretorque Forum Member

can you make a youtube vid of it ?

Might help people if they can hear what you mean .
    I for one am having a hard time with your "scooby" analogy.
    :)

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

im thinking if it sounds like a scooby then just leave it... mmm love that boxer sound