STILL not idleing right, loosing the will now!!!!!

Discussion in 'Engines' started by planetxking, Mar 31, 2008.

1. moretorque Forum Member

what about the bts.
    has this been changed?
    sorry if this has been mentioned already.

2. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

what do you mean by BTS, sorry if i'm being dense!

3. olliemk2 Forum Member

my mechanical know how is rubbish mate, but just read your story... keep at it mate, really hope you sort it soon.:thumbup:

4. moretorque Forum Member

blue temp sender.
    It tells the ecu what temperature the engine is running at so that it can adjust fueling accordingly.
    Important for cold start enrichment.
    Lives on the coolant flange at the front of the head.

5. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

oh right, sorry, never seen it abreviated before, yeah, a new one from vag was fitted

6. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

ok, i feel like a serious peni$ now! just went to take the battery off to charge and checked the oil level while i was there, and noticed that the orange dipstick tube was loose, and that i came off with the dipstick, when i seated it correcly, it showed the oil level to be a good 3/4 of a centemetre over max!!!!![:s] :o [:$] [:^(] [xx(] :thumbd: [:o)]

so will drop that excess tomorrow, but what kinda damage can that have done if any, and could that be the cause of all my problems???

7. gti-8v Forum Member

Research indicates you must be careful when overfilling cars with oil, especially audi & vw engines, as it causes gaskets/ seals to blow..... I managed do it once.... everything was fine, just blew my newly installed sump gasket. Doubt it would cause the probs your experiencing tho.

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Depends how long you ran it for, and how hard. The first thing you'd notice is a lot of blue smoke, due to the oil escaping into the breathers.

It's done now, so drain the extra oil and just keep an eye on it. Should be OK if you've not been using it much, and it's not massively overfilled.

The marked part of the dipstick is equal to about a litre of oil, so compare that to the overfill, and guesstimate how much to drain out.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It won't blow any seals nor gaskets, worst case if it grossly overfilled it will foam the oil up and ruin your bearings - but 7.5mm is not going to do that. I overfilled mine by 2 litres once when on the way to a RR day, as it lost the oil cap, oil everywhere, so I bought 2 litres and chucked in just to get there. It blew it all out the breather and later dripped out of the airbox as I had no air filter in it (still don't, actually....[:$] ).
    That's what breathers are there for, to let any pressure out.

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The loose dipstick will have been an air leak - have you tried it since you fixed that?

11. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

yeah, sorted the dip stick out and droped about a litre of oil which made the level just about right. drove the car to work today and as soon as it got up to temp, it started up with the warnings again, so thisafternoon i dropped it off at Awesome GTI, i have run out of patients and ideas now so before i get frustrated and start beating it with a bat, i thought i'd let someone who has fettled many more dubs than i can fathom!!!

i'll keep you poseted of findings, coz if you are anything like me, my head is blown by the entire fiasco! considering this started off as a simple head gasket about two months ago!!!!

thank you all so much for all the suggestions and help throughout tho guys!

12. quattro64 Forum Member

When you had the head work done were the valve seats replaced? My guess is that they were just re-cut - is that correct?

13. quattro64 Forum Member

The reason I ask is that I have come across something very, very similar to this problem before and it is to do with the installed valve height. If your valve seats have been re cut and too deeply the nominal clearance to allow the hydraulic follower to work will be too small and you will get a misfire due to no compression until the engine warms up - making it sound like a boxer engine. I would be interested yo know if this is what happened.

14. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

well, just an update, it's been at awesome for over two weeks now, sofar they have discovered that the ECU was knakd, it would open the injectors and leave them open, which made the sparkplugs really wet making it run like crap when cold. also the ISV was dead which didnt help either.

the oil pressure is still causing a problem however, the buzzer has been cured by another new pressure sender as the new one i had got for it was faulty! but it still shows the warning light when at idle after the car has been on a long warm run.

so that is where it is at, nearly fixed, but not quite, so they will carry on investigating the pressure problems at idle when warm.

15. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

OK, so turns out, bottom end is screwed!!!! ballz! 2l conversion it is then!!!

will update when the rebuild motor comes in a few weeks!!

16. quattro64 Forum Member

Why so long to find this out and how does this effect the idling??????

17. Mike_H Forum Addict

Assume that means the bearings are shot - you could just change the bearings and the oil pump.

18. planetxking

planetxking Forum Member

the idle was to do with the ECU dumping fuel into the engine, and the ISV being shot. it idles fine now, just the oil pressure is very poor, it needs new shells bearings and new rings coz the over fueling damaged them a bit coz it thined the oil suficintly to do enough damage to everything, so i'd rather start a fresh with a full recon block! so TSR are doing a deal on their short stack 2.0L blocks so ordered one of those!