Strange AGG problem

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Club Joker 84, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Club Joker 84 New Member

Hi there,

First post on the forum. Got an engine problem that has me stumped.

Bit of background, it's an AGG engine in a VW T25 van. Build thread here for anybody interested. Engine had a pretty thorough going over before install, including a top end rebuild, cam belt and head gasket change. I kept things as standard as possible during the swap.

Ran fine for more than 6 months. The only error code on it was lambda related - can't remember exactly what it was, but don't think it is relevant. I think that this was either down to a cheap lambda, or possibly an air leak in my exhaust. This meant it ran a bit rich, but fine apart from that. This did not seem to cause any problems apart from poor economy. Minor oil leak around sump gasket.

At Christmas I drove it about 30 miles of mixed motorway and county lanes to a friend's house (no over-enthusiastic driving), again, ran fine. Stayed for a couple of hours and then tried to drive home. Van would barely turn over, not like a bad battery (checked it already!), but more like there was something stopping it turning over freely. It did eventually fire, but ran really rough and had to be revved to keep going. Had it going for a minute or so turning round, then noticed that it had spat out pretty much all of its oil. This happened since starting, as it followed me turning around and wasn't in where I was parked.

Have since had it recovered. No fault codes (apart from the lambda one). Engine is out, sump is off. Turns over fine by hand. Plugs a bit sooty, but nothing more. No bits of metal / swarf in the sump or anything. Basically, nothing noticeably wrong with it! Only strange thing was that one of the flywheel bolts seemed to have burnt smelling oil on its thread.

Not had the head off yet, but any ideas?

Thanks for any help,

Ben

2. mrglee Forum Member

Check your ignition timing may have moved,cam belt may have slipped or exhaust cat or silencer blocked broken up this would also cause a big increase of crank case pressure.

3. Club Joker 84 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Couldn't see anything in the exhaust, but I'll check the timing etc. at the weekend and let you know.

Ben