Suitable battery and box for Mk2 R32?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 1990, Oct 9, 2020.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I’ve run the cables to the boot of my Mk2 and need to buy a new battery and box for it to go in.

Is there a neat solution or am I just looking for a certain size or battery then trying to find a box to suit?

Also does the box need to be ventilated to the outside?

Thsnks

2. AllanWorms New Member

Moroso do a tidy looking box, that's semi-sealed https://www.moroso.com/catalog/product/view/id/7007/s/sealed-battery-box-black74051/category/3317/. It's marketed as "sealed", nut the clips are NOT sealed properly.

Also, Marine shops do battery boxes with non-sealed lids.

I'm in NZ and was required to have the battery vented to the outside. While the Moroso box isn't 100% sealed, I ran the battery vent hose through a grommet in the floor and the plastic underbody. It's under the Mrs seat, so I wanted it to be safe... but upped her life insurance... just in case :lol:

I have a Touran R32 conversion, and mounted the Moroso under the passenger seat, but cut a section of of the box and plastic welded it back together, so it was shorter. I still use a DIN battery so I can vent it under the car, using the standard hose they have fittings for.

While the R32 generally uses a bigger battery (and 2.0 kw starter), I used the same size the Touran 2.0 FSI used, which is either DIN55 or DIN 53 (Can't remember). It seems to cope fine.

I assume you used suitable size cable? I also fitted a "cube fuse" to the battery terminal (as "a suitably rated fuse" was required by NZ modification cert requirements) like this:
    http://euro-fuse.eu/products/fuses/10/cube_fuses/. The fuse should be rated to protect the cable size you used.

1990 likes this.
  3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I use a Varley red top type battery in the back of the Rally car, the kick out of them is insane, and you could leave them unused for a year and it doesn't flatten. And I'm not even running big cable, and it's earthed to the cage, not the engine.
    They can be fitted on their side as they're "dry" so you might not need a box, just a strap.

1990 likes this.
  4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I used the standard battery and a BMW cable into a Mk5 Golf/Passat box. I’ll see if there is somewhere to vent it nearby :thumbup:

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its going in the boot you can probably run a pipe out past boot carpet to rear wing somehow, must be a grommet or hole behind there which goes to outside going spare

1990 likes this.