Testing System Pressure (Golden?)

Discussion in 'Engines' started by GTI, Feb 22, 2005.

1. philip walker Forum Member

You have lost me?

2. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

:lol::lol: Apparently so...

3. GTI

GTI Forum Member

sorry.

i was thinking that non-return valves were responsible for maintaining pressure on one side, regardless of the pressure on the other. god knows why! that's absolute crap. they just keep fuel running smoothly in the same direction.

pressure is related to flow. this is a dynamic system, non a static one.

i feel like i've been thinking in 2D, when i should have been thinking in 3D.

4. GTI

GTI Forum Member

ha ha.

edit: i did buy the right hoses and fitting though, so i'm not a total retard.

5. greg s Forum Member

I haven't read all this but FSE do two different rated fuel pressure gauges.
    At least they did when I bought mine.

6. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

7. Golden Forum Junkie

If that's an apology I'll carry on helping.

8. mark25 Forum Junkie

GTI: good advice from mr.brown, but why not look at it HERE for free :)

It's a lot more precise than the link you posted.

9. GTI

GTI Forum Member

[:s]

i didn't think i'd offended anybody? i posted the thread because i wanted to make sure that what i thought was correct about the way the fuel pressure is routed around the system was correct. it turns out it wasn't. my bad, as they say.

i'm sorry if you did take offence. i was a little offended myself by your assumption that i didn't have enough sense to get high pressure hoses and fittings. perhaps that was the falling out issue?

again, sorry if i caused offence. as i've said many times on this forum, i'm just trying to learn and get things right. should i be lambasted for occasionally drawing the wrong conclusions?

maybe i sound overly officious sometimes - or a little arrogant. whatever, i don't mean to be. i'm a nice guy really.

:hug: [:?:]

10. GTI

GTI Forum Member

and thanks for the book suggestion mr.brown :thumbup:

and the link mark25 ;)

11. smithy Forum Member

Yeah, I was a bit confused myself as to what all your talk of non-return valves was about. Glad you've figured it out.

12. mr.brown

Top link dude - shame I'd already spent $35 on the real thing! Got the KE-Jetronic one coming soon too:)

13. Golden Forum Junkie

I don't know you at all, you could be a complete spaz for all I know [:|] I was trying to help and make sure your car was safe, there aren't many jubilee clip based fittings that can take 90psi.

I was slightly offened that you ask for help, even put my name in the thread heading and then disagree with what I said.

Then again you did admit that you'd been a bit of a spaker, which puts you way above other forum members who will never admit they're wrong :clap:

So go on then, give us a :hug:, but no funny stuff [:[]

14. GTI

GTI Forum Member

thanks.

i was advised by the guys at fse glencoe (www.fuelsystems.co.uk) that a good jubilee clip connection over the correct hose was good for up to 11 bar. was he talking pooe?

the annodised ends i've been sold as the correct fittings for the 'high pressure' hose seem to be little more than standard jubilee clips on the inside, and i had intended to use standard jubilee clips over high pressure hose in a couple of other places in the very high pressure part of the system.

should i be worried about this? i talked through what i intened to do with the guys at fse and they all seemed to think this was fairly standard practice. obviously i'll not be driving around without being sure it isn't leaking anywhere, but do you think it will?

15. GTI

GTI Forum Member

come to think of it, the old lines had a number of jubilee clips holding rubber hose to copper pipe, and a friend of mine did a very similar job with his mk1 16v a few years ago and didn't have any problems.

16. Oplaii Forum Member

Mines all be done with hose and jubilee clips, i'm hoping this is okay too. I don't appear to have an accumulator or a filter either [:s]

[​IMG]

17. mr.brown

What car?

18. GTI

GTI Forum Member

[:s] no accumulator or filter?

you have a mk1 don't you? (think i remember that from seeing other posts you've made)

if so, the the accumulator should be behind the offside rear wheel, just behind the pump. the filter is under the bonnet, bolted to the side of the metering head.

not sure how you could have missed either! i'd be a little worried if you have!

19. smithy Forum Member

I personally wouldnt use jubilee clips for permanent fittings on K-Jet, especially on the fuel pump - dont think they are strong enough for sustained use.

20. smithy Forum Member

Nice one, thanks for that :)