TFSI 1.8T Oil pump conversion.

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by murph81, Apr 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. murph81 Forum Member

Has anyone converted a TFSI to a 1.8T oil pump or seen/heard of it being done with success?

I want to make sure its a worthwhile and reliable mod before I tackle mine, my reason for doing it is that the engine is very low in the Mk1 and by converting to the 1.8T oil pump I will also be able to fit the 1.8T shallow sump.

I've heard that the 1.8T oil filter housing has to be fitted also because it also has a pressure relief valve which is required when running the older style pump.

I know there are a few American Aftermarket supplier doing conversion kits and other bits and pieces but I would like to hear from people who have had their own experiences of the conversion and its pros and cons.

Cheers,

Murph

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I am sure INA (Isam Abeed) over n USA has done this, fire him a message? Vortex?

murph81 likes this.
  3. INA

INA Forum Member

Pro:
    - 1.8T oil pump will never fail.
    - No more balance shafts
    - Ability to lower your oil level as your oil pan is not consumed with a big oil pump basket
    - Ability to run a baffled oil pan if you wanted

Con:
    - Dummy light for oil pressure. In order to do the conversion on an 06F block , the main oil return channel for the oil pump has to be utilized for 1 of the 1.8T oil pump bolts. So it needs to be drilled and tapped for an M8 x 1.25 helicoil (since you will never find an M7 helicoil). By essentially "blocking off" the oil return , excess oil pressure has nowhere the go as the 06F (2.0 TFSI oil filter housing does not have a mechanical spring loaded return valve like the 1.8T oil filter housing. In the beginning we simply did away with the dummy light but then customers wanted to have that fail safe so you need to convert to the 1.8T oil filter housing. Then when you convert to the 1.8T oil filter housing , you need to remake your charge pipe as it hits the oil filter.
    - Budget - the entire kit will run you around $500 if you are using used parts for the oil filter housing.

It really depends on what you are up for. For us , it is 50:50
    some Golf R owners (as that is the most common customer doing this these days) want the balance shafts deleted , and some want to run a baffled oil pan.

murph81 and sambo like this.
  4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Issam , Adam is asking about this for an engine fitted to a mk1 Golf , with the stock dash , so does that change anything?

5. murph81 Forum Member

Sorry I never saw the replies here, I'm not sure why?

I'm seriously looking into this again and gathering parts.

Once the 1.8T oil filter housing is fitted what does the oil pressure run at?

Is the oil cooler fitted too, is there much to piping that into the TFSI cooling system?

I've since been told that the 1.8T sump won't fit the 06F so I'll be looking at getting a sump custom made too.

I hope this is a good reliable solution because I'm not liking the height of the sump currently.

6. pinslund New Member

Hi. After browsing every page on the internet, today I finally found "The Answer". After installing a oil pump conversion kit i got the oil pressure lamp when driving on the highway at about 80km/h and the car geared up to 6th - when the rpm dropped.... If I shifted into Sport mode the lamp would go away until rpm dropped again. But the funny thing was, the engine was silent and smooth, no noises at all! But the oil lamp was persistent. Then I found out the oil pressure switch for the tfsi engine shorts out between 1.2 -1.8 bar but the 1.8T switch shorts at 0.55 - 0.85 bar. Today I got 1x 038919081K oil pressure switch in the mail, replaced the old one and VOILA.... no oil pressure lamp.
    I am happy now but I would prefer someone could have given me this advice a month ago...

7. pinslund New Member

The 1.8 pump delivers all the pressure you need and you don't have to buy a adapter plate for the 1.8T oil filter housing and oil cooler to feel safe. But contact me if you need contact info to the guys that make these adapter plates????

8. murph81 Forum Member

Good stuff Pinslund, keep us posted on how it goes for you!

Would you be able to put up a list of the parts you used and some photos?

Info on this conversion isn't very clear online.

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Also looking into this. You can buy a balance shaft delete kit from AKS tuning for about 250 (i think there is a surcharge) or go the 1.8T route. Would be good to see a list of parts used!

10. Mikea3 New Member

Please explain how a 1 pin sensor for a tdi fixed this problem.how did u even plug this in.the 1.8t has the exact same part number sensor

11. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Is that not the answer?

Tdi and 1.8T possibly the same but not TFSI

12. alekslink New Member

Folks,

Did anyone install a 1.8T oil filter housing adapter in addition to the oil pump kit on a 2.0TFSI? If yes, could you, please, let me know, what parts were used and what modifications were needed to get it installed?

13. pinslund New Member

Hi Mike. My engine is an early 2005 BGB and I have a 1-pin connector. Don't know about later models but since you ask I can only assume you have a 2-pin pressure switch. I found this solution working for me and I am satisfied????
    Sorry I can't help you any futher..

14. SAY WHAT ONE MORE TIME!!! New Member

2.0t low oil pressure warning

Hey Mike,

were you able to resolve this issue??

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if its going into a mk1/2/3 they require 2 separate oil pressure switches to keep the oil warning system happy. you could drop the low pressure 0.3 bar switch I suppose, this would stop the light ignition on and if oil pressure drops bellow 0.3bar when idling. the other one triggers the light ant buzzer if pressure drops below 1.8bar at around 2k rpm.

If you only have the one hole can use a T piece, but the 20v oil filter housing has 2 holes in it so problem solved. put the 0.3 bar switch where the allen head blank bolt is, 1.8bar switch where the mk4 pressure switch used to go

16. Skjalg hammer New Member

Hi, uuugh have a problem with my audi a4 b7 2.0tfsi, just changed the oil pump to 1.8t. and i am having big problems with oil pressure, i have no clue what to do. do i need to fit the 1.8t housing? the car havent driven more than 145k km by an old man. when i bought the car i changed the oil and oil filter, and thats when the low oil pressure started.
    when i start the engine its nice and smooth, as soon as the oil warms up it starts to beep and telling me that the oil pressure is wrong. buuut thats under 2000rpm when i go over 2000rpm it goes away. I do not know what to order, and i have tried different kind of oils. There is no change except that the 5w-40 syntethic oil made it look withe under the oil cap. I really need the help i am standing on a problem that i do not know what to do with anymore.

17. Skjalg hammer New Member

Only changed the oil pump, i still have the original 2.0tfsi oil filter housing.

18. Skjalg hammer New Member

Did you find out? Would also like to know as it seems i cant find the oil bracket for the 1.8t

19. john New Member

I'm interested in doing this conversion and would like the contact info for the guys that are making the adapter plates to use the 1.8t oil filter housing on the FSI 2.0t block... can you please help

20. Skjalg hammer New Member

I changed back to the 2.0tfsi oilpump the 1.8t oil pump couldnt deliver enough oil to the componets. It started a chain reaction on my engine because of the lack of oil. I am soon done with fixing my engine after all that. I now need to change the tensioner to a cain for the camshafts. Alli need to say dont try to save the bucks it will fuck up your engine. When i had the 1.8t oil pump i did try so many different oil types to make it work but it didnt.