The 1.6 8-valver, which measures are worthwhile? (268°, 4-2-1, exhaust)

Discussion in '8-valve' started by WAUOla, May 21, 2019.

1. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

The std 2L cam has an extra 2mm lift. Fitted one to my 'daily' 1600 EG CITI about a month ago
    Jon

WAUOla and HPR like this.
  2. WAUOla Forum Member

Anyone reckons the 110 lobe separation being an issue for such a mild cam?

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

No, you will never notice it, IMHO
    Jon

4. WAUOla Forum Member

It seems the Pierburg 2B2/2E2 (32mm/32mm) carbs are good for a 110hp setup, but this is where they are ending.
    Has anyone any experience with a heavier tune (headwork, cam, C/R) featuring single point carbs?

Reason for asking is I read in German tuning books the Pierburgs are alright for further tuning, and the base config is identical on 1.6 and 1.8 engines. However, when tuning takes place and cams with different timings are used, one needs to consider "re-profiling" the carbs.

At this time, where ones go GTI or aftermarket ECU, I am not even sure if it makes sense spending 5 minutes progressing with the Pierburg...
    Also not sure if the Weber 32/34 for 1.8L would cope well, or if i.e. Weber 32/36 is the way to go.

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

In my experience small choked carbs are great on 8V, up to 5500rpm.
    If you want it to sing to 7000, you need more..
    Jon

6. WAUOla Forum Member

Hmm. With the new cam, I suppose even 5500rpm is a bit shy of what would be ran...

7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Not sure what size is on my CITI, its relatively tiny.
    32/32 seems fairly generous, unless there's a 24mm choke further down the unit....
    Jon

8. WAUOla Forum Member

Well, the Pierburg 2E_ carbs seems to be 28mm + 30mm ported. So a Weber-kit for 32mm + 34mm - in my head - should be more forthcoming matching camshaft and header job.

9. WAUOla Forum Member

Racking up the procurements here...
    I know there are high flow options on the market, but I'm curious on the cost of getting 4 new valves in GTI spec makes sense?
    Not too costly to get a set of 4pcs 91,2mm/39,5mm/91,9mm valves, and the job of fitting them properly is the same as 38mm ones.

10. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Big inlets need big (ger..) chokes, flow will find its own restriction, again in my limited knowledge.
    Big valves need bigger revs to thrive. (and hence less inlet restriction)
    Where is this engine heading, have you a development plan?
    My (little) knowledge comes from rally to race tuning. (8 and 16V)
    It just so happens my summer daily is a low spec mk1 south african 1600 8 valve.
    Surprisingly spritely for the spec
    Its anything but dull.
    I get company hire cars in the 20-30K range almost daily that send you utterly to sleep in their uninvolvingness
    Maybe its the 1980's brakes, noise, NVH etc (ie danger) that keeps you alert?
    Today's personal daily is an 02 cooper s that has captured something of the 'do or die'
    driving experience so sadly lacking nowadays
    My god, how old am I?
    Jon

11. WAUOla Forum Member

Of course I could ask the guy going to do the work what he reckons. But on the other hand, I am a bit reluctant to call him for "whatever" prior to supplying the header and parts for the task.

I want to do the header once, and in a state that would be compatible with Weber 40 DCOE if I ever want to go that route. Swapping for 8mm stemed "GTI spec" inlets could make a nice improvement, whereas crossing over to 7mm stem high-flow hardware would mean a full exchange of more parts I'm not sure makes sense on this build.

Target single-carb: 110-115 hp capability (I'll figure out a carb for it, functional to 6500 rpm)
    Target DCOE: would be nice seeing potential 130-140 hp capabilities