The CorradoG60.com - Corrado G60

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Riley, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Mjj4 Forum Member

Have a search on google images for corrados, then see if you can find one as good looking as your own. I bet you can't! It's stunning, you need to clean her up and take her for a good long drive and I'm sure the love will re kindle!

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Thanks for the kind words lads. :thumbup: Not sure how long it's going to be off the road unfortunately, really doesn't help keep the love alive.

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

10 Year Anniversary of owning this thing! :thumbup: Where the hell has the time gone!? [:s]

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Glad you kept it in the end.

Will we see it at an event this year?

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

I'm not planning to get to any shows/meets mate, but I suppose it's not out of the question...Depending on whether or not I can find the time to tweak a few bits and get it back on the road :thumbup: Would be nice to just drive it again once the sun comes back!

Toyotec likes this.
  6. Toyotec

Time is never on our side I find :thumbup:.

Watching this to see what you decide in the end.

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Well...New toy to accompany the air ride.

Accuair I-Level.
    [​IMG]

Getting it up and running has been easy peasy...But I've been trying to properly finally finish the air ride by fitting the E-Level height sensors and OMG, absolute nightmare! I'd honestly rather do the heater matrix again!

The instructions presume that you have a simple swinging arm rear end, where everything aligns nicely. But we know that's not the case with the Corrado! The measurements are critical so that the sensors aren't damaged (Over extended) and that they read over as wide a sweep as possible.

You have to aim for 2.75" of travel on the sensor, adjusted by moving closer to, or further away from the rear beam pivot point, but wherever I tried it (Just putting marks and measuring) it just didn't ever get anywhere near enough. Not helped by the fact that the inner arch runs away from the beam...All sorts of silly angles to consider!

After months of searching I haven't found a single picture of the e-level sensors fitted to a Corrado, mk1 or mk2 golf!

There's just no easy way to mount them on the rear, but after literally three days I think I'm getting somewhere...Have made up some brackets to mount to the bottom strut bolt. And that's where I'm up to.

Haven't even bothered to look at the fronts yet! I nearly threw the towel in a few times on the whole car game tbh while trying to sort these sensors! Wondering if I was getting too old for it all, knees and back killing crawling under the car, freezing cold, p|ssing about with an ol' banger! But seems I'm still going for now...

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Just back from my unit again, had to come home because of 'lighting' issues and my knee is spazzing out! Anyway, lots more measuring done and some brackets made. These will attach to the lower rear strut mounting point.

After having made them I found that they had some 'wobble' side to side which meant that the sensors were also moving up/down...No good for accuracy.

So I've put a fold in them as can be seen in the pic (Only one done in pic). Not ideal, but with limited tools/no welding skills it's the best I can manage in all honesty...

Will get more pics sorted so you can see exactly what I mean. But basically the ball stud you see will have a threaded bar which will attach to the sensor (Mounted on inner arch). When suspension is up, the sensor is at the bottom of its travel. And of course, when the suspension is down, the sensor is at the top of its travel.

Neil.

[​IMG]

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Well...

I fitted all the air ride around two years ago I think but never got around to fitting the height sensors as above. In that time the car has been off the road for most of it, probably covered less than 100 miles.

Anyway, been up to my unit many times getting on with the job of fitting the height sensors, and using the air ride to check heights etc. I also bought the I-Level in the meantime and hooked that up, all fine.

Went up there the other week, and my Touchpad controller is not lighting up at all, and is doing nothing when pressing any buttons. Checked to see if the I-Level was working on my phone and it wouldn't connect...Nothing.

After lots of head scratching, checking wires, fuses, power supply with a tester, unplugging things, plugging them back in etc...The I-Level just suddenly connected. But yet my touchpad is still completely dead.

Pretty damn disappointed and p|ssed off that I've virtually never even had the chance to properly use the air ride and yet it's died on me (Seems the Accuair ECU has taken a sh|t). Especially as I couldn't really afford to buy the recent i-level...

So the cars just been sat there on axle stands since, now rendered undrivable. Just pretending it doesn't exist at the minute, kinda wish it didn't. Could do with my unit disappearing along with all the parts and cars in it. Too much hassle, stress, time and effort.

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Where was I?

After I got a bit of enthusiasm back I emailed Accuair. Initially it was pointed out that the ECU's rarely fail, so best to try a new touchpad and USB lead...

I got a quote of near on 90 inc delivery from U.S. And then I left it a while once again...I was struggling to justify spending yet more money on the damn thing, especially as I'd literally just bought the I-Level and already spent around 4K on the whole air ride setup.

After some thinking time, I decided to order it, and it turned up at the door the other day with the delivery guy demanding.......32!!!!!! in import tax! Unreal!!! [:x]

Anyway, long story short...The air ride is working again. Pretty p|ssed off that the touchpad died though, it's had literally no use! So I'm now back to square one...Car still off the road with the air ride needing finishing off.

Pic, new touchpad lit up next to the I-Level.
    [​IMG]

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Here is the dead Touchpad controller split open, nothing to really see. It does have a very, very slight smell of burning...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Onto the sensor mounting. Absolute nightmare trying to work out where to mount them, after lots of messing I eventually came up with this. I've literally only just got these (Rears only) mounted. Excuse the surface rust, the car has sat here on axle stands for like 3 years!

I drilled two holes in the inner wing and inserted Rivnuts then bolted the sensors up. I then decided that my sensor cable needed to run through the inner wing too. It previously ran through the ABS sensor wire holes under the rear bench seat and along the rear beam. So another small hole drilled and a perfectly sized grommet inserted. I did have to split/resolder the looms but it was worth it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's the two rear height sensors mounted. I got everything tightened up, ran some up/down tests without wheels then I finally got my wheels back on the rear and the car sat down on the floor after 3 years!

I instantly went to try the I-Level, no go!
    The wifi just would not connect! after trying for some time I decided to have a tidy up. Tried it again later and all of a sudden it worked. I tested the manual calibration with less than 4 sensors and all went well. I can finally! use a little more of the Accuair features! The ride height on start works, as do the 3 preset heights. During playing about with it, the firmware updated too.

Now to mount the front sensors!

13. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Today it actually moved for the first time in 3 years! I wouldn't normally take pics when it's so filthy, it's absolutely thick with dust but what the hell...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Finally got around to fitting the front height sensors for the air ride. Real pig of a job! A LOT of measuring, moving, tweaking, measuring, moving, tweaking!

Found it really hard to get a good position for the sensors without fouling any of:
    Wheels, brake pipes, ABS wiring, Strut bracket for ABS wire, driveshafts etc.

And then trying to actually get the full sweep of the sensor without over extending it...Nightmare of a job.

This is mounted with tape...checking sensor travel.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

After mounting things with sticky tape, and triple checking everything...I made up some brackets to mount the ball stud for the sensors to the wishbone.

[​IMG]

16. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Some pics...Again, absolutely filthy and moved for only the second time in 3 years!. But finally the whole Accuair E-Level with I-Level WIFI is complete!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pRot3us and Nige like this.
  17. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

And here's a quick/shaky video...I'd literally just finished fitting everything up here, had been up there a good few hours with nothing to eat. So I knew I felt shaky lol. I was just determined to get it finished!

[video=youtube;_8WTkPlv4ko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8WTkPlv4ko[/video]

pRot3us and beetie like this.
  18. Break Forum Member

Well done for persevering with the air ride, it looks pretty damn awesome and the controller is cool too!

19. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Thanks mate...This car hasn't half tested me over the past 10 years or so. I think I can handle anything it can throw at me now, but maybe I've just tempted fate? [8(] lol

The controller (Mounted in car) is really nice build quality wise, cnc'd alloy, great feel to the buttons etc. The controller in the vid is just my ol' iPhone 4S connected to the wifi (I-Level) module :thumbup:

beetie likes this.
  20. Toyotec

Bling with a bit of a modern twist.