The difficult third project...

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by PAB, Aug 5, 2009.

Tags:
  1. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Hi all, after a long hard think I've decided to start my third project after these first two...

88 Jetta track tool
    [​IMG]

88 Monza Valver (mad three week resto)
    [​IMG]

After enjoying the Monza project I decided it had to be another Golf, this time a 1990 spec Tornado Red big bumper car with a bit more go... so it has to be 20vt.

So this is the subject, a Feb 1990 8v...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to bite off more than I can chew I decided to totally upgate the car with all the mod cons. The only way to sort all the bits was to get a complete doner vehicle, after much searching I found this little gem, two owners, not messed about with and with very light front end damage it came along at the right time for a song!! Cant believe a bent bonnet, two broken head lamps and a knackered bumper wrote it off Cat D!!

Seat Leon Sport 20vt 6Speed...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So why the difficult third project? Well I'm gonna try and make all the bits on the Seat work in the golf... 20vt, 6 Speed, ABS, Front & Rear Brakes, Traction control, Alarm, Dash, Seats, Steering columb, Loom, etc, etc, etc...

Started stripping and marking every thing...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gonna do the usual good Golf road car bits too, Konis, Eibach spring & ARBs, 5 stud wide track.... Hope to have you along for the ride... Do you think a Chrismas deadline is too much??

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2018
  2. Mk2Luke16v Forum Member

This'll be a good one to watch! Looks like a nice tidy base car you're starting with too. Deadline of Christmas sounds ambitious to me but then i usually only find one day at the weekend each week to work on the car so depends how much time you can give it! Good luck, take plenty of pics and keep us all up to date!

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Lordy PAB! There's no stopping you!

Buying up an entire car, how much younger?

Look forward to it [:D]

4. jettadan Forum Member

Good luck bud :thumbup:

5. WillG

WillG Forum Member

nice donor vehicle!

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Nutter. Never mind Christmas, get it ready for next week! :lol:

7. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Good luck with it. Crazy the amount of wiring in the footwells!

8. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Hi all, thanks for your interest :thumbup: gonna try and keep regular updates and do a bit each evening. Gotta get the Leon fully stripped and disposed of hopefully by the end of Sunday coming. Then its a full strip job on Tornado (Mk2 name for the thread, sad i know but shes got to have a name), clean & prep of the shell and then set to making it all work.

Also got to get my sisters Mk3 8v serviced and an ABF/K-Jet conversion on the Monza valver pictured above.

Tried to pull the Leon engine & box tonight BUT I don't have the correct size spine drive for the drive shafts, its got 108mm flanges and uses 12 point M10 studs for the drive shafts....dam these modern cars!! LOL

[​IMG]

I'll pick one up on my travels and try again tomorrow.

9. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

really looking forward to seeing this one come together, I had something like this planed for project 4, im on number 2 at the moment so im years off:lol:

What else are you planning on fitting? did the leon have climate control? id love to see that retro fitted.

10. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Its a total modernisation of the car, if it was on the Leon its going into the Golf.... well thats the plan.... It had climate and yip its going in, come along for the thread think its gonna be quite good fun.:lol:

11. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

nice one, this will be one very nice car! hope you got good patience trying to squeeze all that into the golf!

12. WillG

WillG Forum Member

can you retrofit airbags?

13. steved Forum Member

Can i have the Leon shell

14. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

this is going to be great, cant wait to see it coming along!!! saw your jetta at inters, looked great

15. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Nice. Could be the highest spec mk2 in the world ever, ever, ever.

16. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Glad you like the Jetta, there is three years of hard work in her [8(] she was still full of bug squash from Bedford Autodrome the thursday before Inters and was in need of a massive valet.

WillG,
    I'm gonna try and fit the air bags, the Leon has four, Drivers, Passengers and two seat airbags, the control module is fitted below the heater box on the transmission tunnel and there are load sensors to fit for the setas. Watch this space....

Tonights action was to liberate the engine and box from its Spanish overlord, I got a very good and comprehensive spline/torx/allen drive set today so the drive shafts were split in no time. With that sorted I pulled out the ABS pump, pipes, Servo and most of the bits on the bulkhead.

Ready to pull...
    [​IMG]

Free at last...
    [​IMG]

Bulkhead before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Had an idea to use the Bulkhead insert panel as a template for most of the mountings i'll need to fab up, or even cut out the Mk2 bulkhead and fit the Leon insert panel... a bit like a Mk3 bulkhead.

To round the night off I pulled out the three pedals. You can see the air bag module on the transmission tunnel.
    [​IMG]

Cheers

17. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Done a little more stripping tonight.

The loom is now out of the car complete and just looks like a great big scary mess of wires!
    [​IMG]

Got the brakes off too, 312mm for the front and aluminium Mk4 golf type rear calipers.
    [​IMG]

This is the clear bulkhead panel I might use if only I can break the sealant they have used to stick it in with!
    [​IMG]

Should get all the running gear off tomorrow, also got a scrap yard trip planned to see what googies I can find.

18. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

One week in and the Leon has been stripped of all it has to offer, just need to remove some brackets from the body shell and its off to a better place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to get the bulkhead panel out, the sealent they use was really tough to cut so I persuaded it to come out with a little heat. It just about fell out with a gentle push once warmed with Mr blowlamp.

Burn baby Burn, bulkhead infurno...
    [​IMG]

19. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Good work, any plans for the leon or is it a right off?

Looking forward to more updates!

20. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Didn't take long to strip that!:o :clap:

Sean_Jaymo likes this.