THE Mk2 Golf Definitive Wide Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by A.N. Other, Aug 17, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ok, question mark in second column, driveshaft row, now in red & lined through.

Apologies for being picky, given the effort, just needs to be spot on :thumbup:

2. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Complete Passat drive shafts on my trackcar and on swerves, didn't change the inner or outer cv's.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I think that's due to some 02As being seen as Js, or some variation in what was fitted onto 02Js during production, hence sparrow's needing changing.

4. steve r

steve r Forum Member

The table says the outer cv's to use are Mk2 or Mk3 Golf/Ibiza Mk2/3, 4-stud. I used Passat with the mk2 hub.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks, tweaked now in blue. The 4-stud Passat hub is same as Mk2.

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Driveshafts are unmodified, standard inner and outer CVs, same as Steve R. Also 4 stud, Mk2 hubs. That's the reason I went with the Passat items, as it was a direct swap even with the 02J box.

The only thing that required changing on mine was the output flange from the 02J box, as it was 108mm as discussed above. Some 02J boxes come with 100mm flanges, apparently early TDi and 2.0 cars. Mine was a Mk4 Golf box, so had 108mm items.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep thats confirmed :thumbup:

you're right the SEAT Ibiza/Toledo use MK2 wishbones, so therefore they're narrowtrack. as above, MK3 Golf are all widetrack including the 4stud, and the extra length is the wishbones. so you need the MK3 driveshafts and track rods, mk2/seat will be too short.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks RJ. Toledo Mk1 = restyled Mk2 Jetta IIRC.

Additional amends now also made to "Hub to use" row, adding Passat 4-stud hub option to first 2 columns.

9. rubjonny

yep, the toledo is very much mk2 based, the ibiza is more mk3 like inside and underneath

10. Frankencar New Member

To answer some of the items missing from the list:

You can not use Passat driveshafts in the wide track conversion for either the 4 or 5 stud as the passat has the wide A-arms and a subframe that's a bit wider - same reason you can't use the passat sway bar.

All the listed axles have the same 30 spline outer connection between shaft and joint. They all also have the same 33 spline inner - except the 90mm inner joint which has the same diameter and number of splines, but they are not cut as far down the shaft.

Hope this helps. :)

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Very useful info- thanks.

Confusion over the Passat subframe - where is the Passat subframe wider? We have done measurements on the front bolt mounting and thought they were the same. According to prev measure-ups, front wishbone bolts 60cm apart, rear wishbones 68cm apart.

Interesting about the spline cut depth. I wonder if Danster has anything on this?

12. danster Forum Addict

It is correct that the 90mm inner CVs are a little thinner than the 100mm CVs. However the 100mm CVs can be fitted to the 90mm shafts if the shim washer is left out.

The Passat shafts can be used for wide tracking if modifications to wishbones are made to suit the new desired width required.

13. rubjonny

as above the passat subframe isnt any different where it counts, at the wishbone front and rear mounting. just the outer 2 mount points that differ.

ask andy947, he's been running passat widetrack wishbones and shafts on his mk2 for many years without any problem ;)

14. JB!

JB! Forum Member

had difficulty bolting up a b4 vr6 subframe to a mk2 today, seems the upper mounts are at a different angle and the rear where the ARB is doesn't sit right.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

B4 as in Passat? They're different & don't fit.

Does the FAQ imply these can be used?

16. rubjonny

subframes are covered in another FAQ I think, this one is all about wishbones and shafts nothing else. but yes, passat subframe and roll bar will NOT fit a MK2/3

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

18. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

I Know this may sound like an odd one. but...

I've got a mk3 gti 8v 5 stud, which I want to convert to use mk2 16v carriers with 4 stud hubs and mk2 arb.

I know I need to fit mk3 4 stud wishbones to alow me to use the mk2 arb, But..

Do I need to fit the mk2 outer cv joints to mate up with mk2 hubs?
    Are the mk3 4 and 5 stud driveshafts all the same length?
    Will I need to change the steering arms?

Cheers
    Martin

19. rubjonny

change the wishbones and roll bar, plus the outer cv joints and you'll be sorted :)

the tracking will want doing after obviously, you shouldn't need to change the track rods though

20. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

cool, cheers for the help.