THE Mk2 Golf Definitive Wide Tracking Thread

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by A.N. Other, Aug 17, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

easiest thing for you is just press a 5 stud hub into the 4 stud bearing carrier, and fit 5 stud outer cv.

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

That actually does make the most sense. :thumbup:

3. Dohcta New Member

Hey guys,

I have been reading up on this topic for a while having recently found some 17" VW Steelies I wana slap on the MK2... only problem is they are 5x110 stud pattern for my 4x100 setup :(.

It's taken me a wee while to understand what is required for the swap but think it's making much more sense, however I do have just a couple of questions, which may seem silly but please bear with me:

1) How much wider does mk3 gear widen the track by each side?

2) When talking about Track Widening, does this increase the distance between outter hub face and strut ie can it allow you to run higher offset wheels? Or does the whole hub assembly shift outwards?

3) By opting to simply press 5 stud hubs into 4 stud carriers, I will stay narrow track, but with 5 stud hubs? If I do this I will either have to redrill existing 4 stud rotors or buy B3 5 stud rotors... does anybody have the part numbers for these rotors?

I think that's it for now. I appreciate your help.

T

4. Kempster Forum Member

the table on page 1 aint there any more :(

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Tables on page 1 now fixed, All working again.

6. smokinrider New Member

OK simple question simple answer required, no guesses or maybe try this, just do this it works.
    i bought a wide track setup which was claimed to be originally from a passat.
    wishbones fit and it sits and looks sweet, i have passat driveshafts to fit but this will all be done when subbys dropped for the ABF, its not on the road at the mo so no shafts in at all and ill compare the standard mk 2 ones with the claimed passsat ones when subframes out. need to fit seat hubs and 280mm brakes which will determine final set up for driveshafts.
    question is this...
    the track rods are for pas and i have non pas. what tie/track rods do i need to buy (ideally with removeable track rod ends both sided) will standrd mk 2 ones fit if they are wound out on the inner nut on the rack as well as the trackrods (to get toe tight), did they do a mk3 non pas rack if so would these fit? are non pas passat ones an option/available? if so what model and year. main problem is whats available to view online from gsf or ecp. cant find non pas mk3 or non passat on either!

7. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

So to do my mk2 which is going to use a mk2 16v gear box I need:

Golf Mk3 wishbones 4 stud
    Tin sleeve for rear wishbone bushes or R32/S3/Leon Cupra R/Audi TT solid rubber, front wishbone rear bush also fits (8NO 407 181 B)
    Golf Mk3 driveshafts 4 stud
    Mk3 golf Steering arms 4 stud

I take it I can get all the mk3 golf parts from a turbo diesel or a 4 stud with an engine bigger than a 1.6?

And will that be 21mm per side or 21mm total?

8. rubjonny

wishbones and track rods from any mk3 golf, though 1.4 unlikely to be pas if you need those. shafts from 1.8-2.0 petrol, or 1.9 td. iirc the tdi also 4 stud, if so shafts from that also fine. n/a diesel or engines smaller than 1.8 will be 90mm shafts or smallblock so no good

Lennard likes this.
  9. rubjonny

dont forget to check for vento and mk3/3.5 cabrio in scrappers ;)

Lennard likes this.
  10. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

rubjonny, you are a legend :)

Is that for the rear beam?

"Golf/Vento 4-stud up to 7.93"

What does the 7.93 refer to?

11. rubjonny

no for the widetrack bits, but yes you can use the beam from them as well if you need one. not worth it unless yours isnt a gti mind as the mk3 ones all same width as mk2 pretty much except for early poverty spec mk3 and they have no roll bar

july 1993 ;)

Lennard likes this.
  12. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Mines a driver so i'll have a gander :)

13. rubjonny

alrighty, if you get a mk3 gti rear beam just be sure it has the bias valve attached, as you'll need it to run discs. if yours is a 1.8 driver though it'll have a bias valve already so you may be able to attach that to a mk3 beam (I'm not sure if the mk2 bias valve beam bracket will bolt to mk3 beam)

Lennard likes this.
  14. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

Can I put my drums onto a mk3 gti rear beam as I would like to keep it simple?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Do the upgrade. It's not that difficult.

16. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

It's not the difficulty factor, I just don't see the point as the rear brakes don't do very much performance wise and the car will be standing for long periods of time which usually results in binding.

17. rubjonny

yes straight fit :)

18. w-edition New Member

Just a quick one for you widtrack guys any chance of using mk3 vr subframe arb wishbones but mk2 late 16v hubs?
    cheers

19. rubjonny

subframe yes, wishbone and arb no. the ball joint mount on 5 stud is offset so your castor is thrown out if you mix n match. just use 4 stud wishbones from non gti mk3, 4 stud arb. you can use the vr subframe if you want.

if you really must have 4 stud with 5 stud wishbones, you can press 4 stud hubs into 5 stud bearing carriers but then you'll have to redrill 5 stud discs to 4 stud (no you cant just use 4 stud discs, offset on the bearing carrier is different!)

20. w-edition New Member

Thanks for that John think i will be ok to use all the vr front end press in 4 stud hubs as im using 310 discs on bells with wilwood radial calipers on custom mounts
    so will have to machine the mount to fit
    cheers mate