The Mk2 R32 conversion thread.

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by 1990, Oct 2, 2011.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Following on from the 'shoping list' thread. Where I found out I needed then bought the following:

Mk5 R32 engine
    Mk5 R32 Manifolds and downpipe (To be modified to fit)
    Mk4 R32 Looms and ECU (modified to be plug and play into CE2 and ECU decoded)
    Mk4 R32 Injectors
    Mk4 R32 tensioner and non A/C belt
    Mk4 R32 Coolant temp sensor
    Mk4 4 Motion accessory bracket and PAS pully
    Mk3 VR6 gearbox, flywheel and clutch
    Mk3 VR6 radiator, thermostat housing and coolant hoses (No fans as yet)
    Mk3 VR6 PAS pump

Its finally time to put all the bits together in the car. So far i've refitted the subframe, put the engine and lighting looms back through the holes in the bulkhead and refitted servo.

Next thing I want to do is mount the engine and box so need to swap the dual mass flywheel for the VR6 one. When doing this do I need to take note of any marks on it to make sure the new one goes on correctly or do I simly unbolt the old and bolt on the new?

I'll try and update with plenty of pics so heres the first one, bur engine bay:
    [​IMG]

2. benthejettaman Forum Member

all the bolt holes on the crank and flywheel are offset so it can only be bolted together one way. you will also need to use mk3 vr6 fly wheel bolts

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

great excuse for a lightened 8 hole VR flywheel, nein?

4. 1990

Great!! I'm glad they made it fool proof. I've got new Mk3 bolts for the clutch and flywheel.

My VR flywheel had a lovely week in Wales during the summer :lol:

5. oburT6RV Forum Member

Is this like a general information sharing thread?

Lightened flywheel + R32 razor sharp throttle + MK2 = Erm, rip your face off! :) Nah, I'm sure it's not that bad but I had the same dilema: Schimmel 9lb VR6 cromoly flywheel, or the standard 18lb pig iron? I chose the latter!

I used the 9lb one in my old VR6 T engine and it was lighting the tyres up all over the place and that engine had ~ 80lbft less torque at 2500rpm than the R32 does!!

As I am also installing a MK5 R32 lump (well, a 2007 Audi BDB lump, same thing) I'll also thrown in some pix for clix! Instead of MK5 manifolds and DP or the Dubpower 6 branch, I opted for 4 Motion manifolds and United Motorsport downpipe. I had to bore out the 4Mo manifolds as the R32 head has 33mm square ports and the 4Mo's ports are only 31mm wide. I didn't want any steps in the exhaust flow causing hot spots. Other than that, it's all spot on....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They fit my Corrado perfectly....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bolts up to stock VR6 cat converter....

[​IMG]

Schimmel 268/264 cams... mmmmm [8D]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  6. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

7. 1990

Thanks for the input!!! Thats a good tip about the odd hole on the flywheel and I wonder if United MSport do a mk5 downpipe?

8. Andy947 Forum Addict

I've got some spare 4mo manifolds if you need them.

Dubpower 6branch going on mine

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

It's pretty much the same price, I would just go for a 6-branch.

10. oburT6RV Forum Member

Worth noting the Dubpower 6 branch doesn't fit Corrados. The output flange presses hard up against the transmission tunnel, which is why I chose the UM option. It was mentioned to Pete a few years ago but whether or not he's tweaked the design, I don't know.

No issues with MK2s though, which appears to account for 90% of this forum....

11. 1990

I think it was dubpower that told me the Mk5 manifolds flow much better than mk4 4mo and r32 ones.

I'll have a go at having my mk5 downpies moded first I think. Kipvr has done this and kept the 2 cats. Also the exhaust ports are exaclty the same location as the 12v VR6 (in relation the the engine mounts) so I will probably use a 12v downpipe as a template.

12. oburT6RV Forum Member

I think the 12V DP bolts up to a pair of MK5 manifolds if you extend one of the down tubes a bit. My only reservation being the bore of the down tubes and a small 2.5" collector.

The United Motorsport one uses 2" ID down tubes and a 3" ID collector, so plenty of flow.

The MK5 manifolds have bigger flange ports but they step down again inside the outer shell, so the flow gain over the 4Mo manifolds is negligable. The exhaust side as a whole is quite restrictive on the R32 anyway. CNC heads found a 28% flow improvement on the exhaust side and 8% on the intake side. A CNC head, bored out manifolds or 6 branch and a 2.75" system + cams and you're looking at quite a motor!

I'm not trying to sway your decision either way, just putting some info on the table :)

13. 1990

The more info and options the better!!!

I'm now thinking a modified UM downpipe might be my best option, is the Mk4 and Mk5 flange between the manifolds and downpipe the same?. I was thinking of the Jetex 2.5" exhaust.

How much was the United Motorsports downpipe? I could cut it and rejoin it solid or maybe with some 2" flexi joints. I was thinking of the Jetex 2.5" exhaust, would this be a waste of time with the 3" collector?

14. oburT6RV Forum Member

The UMS appealed to me as I already have this 3" cat from my turbo engine - http://www.gt3turbo.com/Merchant/product.php?productid=465&cat=0&page=2

I was just going to make up a little 3 bolt flange to V-Band adaptor and then it will be 2 x 2" to 3" then onto [currently] a 2.5" system, but later I want to change it to a Jetex 2.75" system :) The fact it can also mate up to a factory cat as well makes it pretty flexible.

The MK5 manifolds have bigger bore outlet flanges, but again, it's quite deceiving because of the way it's contstructed. I'll do some measurements later!

The USM downpipe cost me about 330 IIRC 3" to 2.5" is no problem at all, but try and keep the transition smooth and not stepped.

15. 1990

OK, finally going to do something tomorow.

I have a couple of questions:

What tourqe do I to the Flywheel and clutch bolts upto? (60nm + 1/4 turn for FW and 20nm for clutch?)

How clean does the face of the flywheel need to be, the side facing the clutch? It has a bit of surface rust on it and i'm wondering if I should leave it or spend some time removing it.

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

torques are correct

id scrub some of the crud off, maybe even degrease it, but 3.2L of vr6 will make short work of a bit of crud on the flywheel

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

Just clean is up with a scotch pad. If you need to do anything.

18. seanwhite06 New Member

fits fine if you cut the rear engine mount down 10/15 mm like you do when fitting a vr/24v to a mk2.

just finished my own 24 valve (4motion lump) conversion, car was previously a mk2 vr so already had alot of stuff i needed.
    i used the std 4 motion manifolds and a united motorsport downpipe. fits perfect and excellent quality! If i ever upgrade to a 3.2 will just use the same manifolds and bore them out to match the r32 head if i need to.

19. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the 2.8 4motion cast manifolds are the same part number as the mk4 r32 ones

20. 1990

I had to slightly modify the 4motion accessory bracket to fit the mk5 alternator, I had to use the grinder to skim a bit off:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]