The Mk2 R32 conversion thread.

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by 1990, Oct 2, 2011.

1. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

how have you got it wired up

when it primes is not going to make much difference you will be fine with it priming with the key

the mk4 primes when the drivers door opens that got nothing to do with the ecu just the door switch and the relay
    edit it also primes when you first turn the key
    it only seems to prime if it's been left a while with the door

is the pump priming

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

No, i'm pretty sure its not priming.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the ecu also controls the pump priming, if its running a mk2/3 fusebox then it should have been wired up with ecu earth trigger control for the fuel pump relay 67, 80 or 167 (bottom right corner) I dont know if switching on the ignition makes the mk4 type ecu prime the pump or not, but that doesnt really matter the main thing is it runs when the car is cranking over. The fuel pump relay will supply a few things in the bay like the lambda heaters and possibly the fuel injectors, depending on how andy wired it. do you have an ecu relay? I wire the mk4 looms to use the mk2/3 ecu relay socket either a #30 or a 109 depending on which mk4 loom it is. if its setup for one and you dont have it then that could explain it, basically ask andy as he made your loom!

oh and if it was a later mk4 loom, is there a 2 pin plug with a purple/black wire hanging about near the turret?

with the dash, did you remember to give pin e/2 an ignition live feed?

4. MUSHY 16V

Dose it have the relays in the relay box next to the plug the john on about

5. MUSHY 16V

edit to post 61
    the mk4 dose prime with the key

6. 1990

There is an ECU relay next the the SAI relay. Is the pruple/black quite a thick wire on an unusual looking plug? If it is I definately have that.

I'm not sure about the ECU earth trigger control, i'll have a look one night if I can finish work early.

7. MUSHY 16V

Is the plug with the purple black wire plunged in to the plug on the other loom
    Aye you have two relays in the relay box I don't what the second ones for

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  8. 1990

I'm pretty sure it is, its in the scuttle area but i'll check.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2nd relay is the ecu relay, make sure it clicks with the ignition. if you cant hear it from the driver seat pop it out the holder with the ignition on then plug it back in, it should click. another test is look for ignition live at the coilpacks and ecu pin 23. if you have power there then the black/purple in tat 2 pin plug is connected and is receiving power from somewhere at least.

10. 1990

OK, got it running today!!!

First thing I checked fuses, they were all ok. Then I put the clio diesel battery on and checked the ECU relay in the scuttle clicked which it did. Then I looked at the fuse box nd it felt like No.18 relay clicked with the key.

I then disconnected the fuel feed and it released a load of air pressure. Then when I turned the key fuel flowed out of it. I blew down the feed hose into the fuel rail but it seemed blocked, probably couldn't blow hard enough to operate the 4.0bar FPR??

The FPR had no securing clip so I pulled it out and then I could blow the fuel through the rail. I put the FPR back in an my mate held it down.

Then I poured the fuel which into the fuel rail, connected it again and second attempt it fired up, it had no exhaust on so was very loud so I turned it off, the fuel was pushing out of the FPR hosing even though he was trying to hold it down. I didnt try it again then, he's going to order me a clip to secure it then we will try again.

Then I offered up the butchered mk5 downpipes, they need a bit of work to fit but I think it tre heated and bent a but they will be a nice fit.

So it seems like the fuel system was air locked, does that sound right to you lot or do you think the FPR could be at fault? I have no vacuum hose attached to it by the way.

11. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

When I could not get mine started I also thought that the fuel rail could have air in. I saw that the VR6 had an air bleed screw on it but could not see one on the 4-mo so I left the feed pipe connected and removed the return line so I could let the fuel push the air out. I don't think the R32 has single lines though, only the single one?

12. 1990

The mk4 has flow and return but the mk5 just has flow.

I can't wait to get the exhaust on now!!!