The Old Timers Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Savagesam, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Tristan and dodgy like this.
  2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

And so it begins....thank you Sam

I'm going to start by saying I don't appreciate the many ailments that getting older brings, including but by no means limited to the following:
    • Knees that feel like a couple of half boiled potatoes after anything more than 5 minutes standing in the same position, kneeling down working on your car or anything else and the incredible amount knocking and popping sounds they can make when you're attempting to go back to normal motion.
    • Lower back problems - mind you I have had back problems from early 30's but getting older has generally not helped matters
    • The necessity the drink a lot of water having got a kidney stone in 2016 at 47 that literally felt like I had the Rock of Gibraltar attempting to exit my body through the worst possible location.
    • Failing eyesight - this one really grind my gears as I now have poor vision at night, when attempting to close up work (eg. attempting to tie a fly on my fly line) and also poor distance vision - I have two pairs of glasses now when I previously had none.
    • I'm going to add piles (aka hemorroids) - Never had them before but I've currently got a passenger for the last 2 years that won't f%%k off - Unfortunately the procedures to remove said passenger are pretty alarming as well - Eat more fibre young un's!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The stupidity of the youth of today, plus the way I've chosen to forget I was indubitably just as stupid, 20 years ago.

4. costel1969

+1 for that as well, they are complete morons and I'm encountering a more concentrated version where I currently reside who have been both mollycoddled and duped by the fallacy of the "everyone is a winner - even when you lose B.S". I am rightly or wrongly the product of good old Irish negative affirmation whereby "you're deemed to be useless until proven otherwise" so when I see the polar opposite of my upbringing being their 'beautiful' selves, I must admit it pi$$es me right off.

I'm definitely getting into the swing of this...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

*slowly backs into my corner*

6. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I'm not so much bothered by youth stupidity but their neediness and apparent taking offense at the slightest thing. What happened to banter!

Vinnie and Gaz37 like this.
  7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

What bothers me about age is not that I suffer with more ailments but that they take longer to get better than they used to.
    A bad cold used to be 3 days but now a week, pulled back used to be a week but now two.
    And yes, glasses, what a pain in the arse they are!

8. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I'm going to lower the tone as usual
    Anybody going to admit things not rising to the occasion like they used? [eek]

PhilRyder and Savagesam like this.
  9. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

C0ckdown due to COVID-19?

costel1969 likes this.
  10. costel1969

Absolute Fact Phil - this 'WOKE' sh!te drives me bonkers, I understand and fully agree that there was a lot of sexist, mysogynistic and racist behaviour and I most certainly do not condone that. However it's now gone completely in the opposite direction where absolutely everything is deemed offensive and let's cancel it!

11. costel1969

Might be best if you did Sam [:D]

12. costel1969

Short answer Gaz - Not at this time but who knows what's waiting around the corner

13. costel1969

Where's @dodgy ? I thought he would have chimed in by now.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

I tend to find you get odd pains here and there for no reason. It's a rapidly evolving world now where we like to label everything and are offended for others. Fake wealth seems to be the main focus and people looking for affirmation on everything they do. Rejection is not an option.

The only time there was a mass gathering was when Brtitish Leyland/Rover were on strike. Now every other week there is a march for something.

We also have a national day for everything https://nationaltoday.com/national-day-calendar/ today is National Banana Splt day, I swear you couldn't make half of this stuff up!!

dodgy likes this.
  15. costel1969

Exactly positive affirmation for absolutely everything! "I've just got out of bed". I'm going to post that and see what my followers think of that - 5 likes/comments later, "I have been affirmed - my people love me"!

God be with the days when, if you didn't get out of bed you had one of your parents flaking the head off you until you did - no social media, no followers, no affirmation and absolutely no whining, only a sore head and internal promise to yourself not to let that happen again because it wasn't nice.

PhilRyder and dodgy like this.
  16. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Sorry @costel1969 just been one of those days, loads of dovetail drawers to do, sure these whippersnappers dont know traditional methods so the times we have carving and weird stuff it comes to me.
    Plus when got in was eager to the garage, update soon on that.

This is great, cheers.

Post 44 I think was when the aching starts, but I'm 49 soon and still not too many sparkly hairs. In my head I'm still 22, so the mental ideas are still there.

What I'm struggling to understand at the moment is tiktok, it keeps coming up on YouTube, just seems to be pouting young ladies in swimsuits or similar, surely the youth today aren't that vain that they will expose themselves to that extent on a worldwide platform, yet it's the age of non sexism apparently.

And I'm pretty sure that if we took all the stuff out of Bristol that colston contributed to, or the whole uk and colonialism for that matter, I'm sure it would be far different. Yes there were wrongs at that time, but that was then, this is now, we dont need the protest for social media purposes.

Rant over, off to get me slippers. Screenshot_20200609-124637_eBay.jpg

PhilRyder and costel1969 like this.
  17. dodgy

costel1969 likes this.
  18. dodgy

@costel1969 with you on the kidney stone, had one few years ago, doctor told me to sit in a bath of water to have a wee, never did, passed it in work at the metal urinal trough, sounded like one of those comedy western spitoon noises.

And then cameras, investigated afterwards, ahem, and they asked if I wanted to watch the screen, passed on that, I've already seen the empire strikes back with the bit on the asteroid when the millennium falcon nearly gets eaten.

costel1969 likes this.
  19. costel1969

@dodgy - Good to see you Brother "just seems to be pouting young ladies in swimsuits or similar, surely the youth today aren't that vain that they will expose themselves to that extent on a worldwide platform, yet it's the age of non sexism apparently." I'm afraid that's the bizarre logic of all of this - Tik Tok, Instagram and there are many more would be appear to be flying in the face of the Woke/Cancel culture but are thriving nonetheless. The irony of it all isn't lost on me - the tragedy of the Aboriginal industrial schools brought to you by the Canadian Government and the good old Catholic Church is front and centre here and it was vile and evil what was done to those poor kids as it was in Ireland and other countries. However now they're pulling down statues and monuments, demanding street name changes and for the life of me I don't see how this can make one iota of a difference.

dodgy likes this.
  20. costel1969

Man that kidney stone damn near killed me - never felt pain like that before and I most certainly hope I never do again.

@dodgy are you saying they sent a camera up your one-eyed trouser snake after 'Elvis' left the building?

dodgy likes this.