The unloved GTI - my mk3 16v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by MJA, Mar 18, 2022.

1. BISSONE Forum Member

It is funny how rare the MK3 16v is now seeing most of them have been parted out for conversions (guilty of doing this myself back in the day) I sold my MK2 16v about 10 years ago when I bought my first house and instantly regretted it, ended up buying my MK3 16v for £350 with a slipping clutch about a year after as all that was in my budget. Sat idle for many a year until I did the same as you and welded the hell out of it, original car, with loads of history including original VW optional extra’s fold outs etc, and many a time I have thought about selling or parting it out but can’t do it as simply owns me very little and they are creaping up in price. I have full Recaro interior now as well which are a snippet of MK2 money but still a nice touch. I would highly recommend one of Hotgolfs flywheels as makes it abit more lively. I shall watch with interest on this one.

2. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Yours sounds a nice example too and they do appear to be creeping up now. This one doesn't owe me a lot compared to my bloody corrado. I've managed to do a lot of the work myself. Its just slow going. I would like some recaros for it, might be getting some but can't really justify spending money on non essentials right now. Funny you mention (talking non-essentials lols) the hotgolf flywheel - I was googling about that yesterday afternoon. I've notived how much free-er my mk2 16v (with abf block under KR fuelling etc) is to rev compared to the mk3.

Had an alright weekend on the car, good and bad news. ARB bushes were a bit of fight to get on, managed to do it by dropping down the subframe. Took the majority of the time I had available to be honest. Did put the first bush in under the wrong orientation (slit at the bottom rather than facing the front bumper which didn't help.
    20220320_092648.jpg

Painted the backing plates and fitted to the carrier. Also pressed in the r32 rear wishbone bushes in the background.

20220319_195702.jpg

Now for the bad news but not so disheartening now I've seen the fix for it.

https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/spinning-wishbone-bolt-problem.73404/

Yup drivers side rear wishbone bush captive nut has failed. Its still welded in place but I've partially threaded it and can only get 90nm of torque on it (spec is 130). I do subscribe to the thought of getting it tight as on the wrench and torques are for engines etc but I'm not happy with it.

I still want to avoid dropping the subframe (why go through all that pain with the ARB inner bushes!) so will try a long tap but doubtful as the bolt is not going in straight either so perhaps the captive part has started to fail on the welds. The other side goes in perfectly. Looks like I will be cutting a hole per the guide to replace the captive nut. Used copper grease on the bolt as well. Oh well another trick to learn.

Yet to decide whether to weld a generic nut in or get the proper captive nut part but have many weeks to wait for a long tap from China to ponder before trying that out...

Will be doing -

Drill out with 10.2mm diameter drill bit
    Long m12x1.5x160mm tap
    replacmement bolt will be m12x100mm

hopefully with subframe in situ.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2022
    erreesse likes this.
  3. suggs_84

suggs_84 Paid Member Paid Member

Great project this, barely ever see a Mk3 round this way now!

MJA likes this.
  4. MJA

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS I'm so friggn happy right now. Saw this technique on youtube about sorting cross threaded bolt holes and thought I would give it a try.

Well it only went a bloody sorted it. Started by hand making sure to go in square, then got the socket on it, then the torque wrench 100nm, 110nm, 120nm, bingo 130nm.

I was not confident it would work so didn't take any pics. I put the bolt in my vice and cut both sides, about 1.5 cm from the tip, with the dremmel like the vid and just bascially screwed it in. Bolt head is now nicely square in the subframe. It was on the pish previously as I went in on the pish - probs didn't line up subframe correctly and did get frustrated and use my ugga dugga at one point (i know not to do that so should have walked off at that point) so all my fault in the first place. The wishbones that came off were original factory.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2022
    caddyboet and dodgy like this.
  5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Good save. Great when something works and saves a heap of extra pain.

6. MJA

Thanks matey yes a relief and can crack on! Getting there to completion now - front suspenions rebuild, brakes, rear shocks and springs, replace fuel tank, cambelt/pump, oil leaks on rocker cover, drill out the bolts that hold the rear plastic piece above number place, paint roof and bonnet. Oh fit locks to doors and re-tumble barel to match key.

dodgy likes this.
  7. MJA

These came up for sale and whilst I probably should not have spent as meant to be saving for bodywork on each car next year I couldn't resist. I think they will look great in the car.

277290705_505280317978033_764619671956444547_n.jpg 277316444_837054814362240_7542162712506562064_n.jpg

Plus rear door cards but didn't take pic.

I don't think the stock GTI interior is worth a great deal but mine is immaculate if anyone is intereted PM me.

caddyboet, suggs_84 and dodgy like this.
  8. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

those seats popped up on my market place this morning, I was thinking about messaging about them. I'm glad they went to a good home

9. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Very nice seats, comfortable too. Heated?

10. MJA

Thanks :) I was pretty lucky with them - his first job of the day was at a town local to me so he dropped them off this morning! I've got everything I want for this car now so just need to hurry up and finish the last of the mechanical jobs (a fair few to get it as reliable and restored as I can) and then have the bonnet and roof repainted it's done.

@dodgy not heated I'm afraid. Electrics are not a huge strong point for me. I haven't even wired in the heated seats on the Corrado yet - got everything just haven't thought about yet.

dodgy and afbiker02 like this.
  11. MJA

Amazing how far things go when you get started. This car was meant to be a quick few months in my garage to sort a couple of bodywork bits but we keep digging. The radiator was showing sign of leaking and since I was getting some parts blasted for my mk2 (need to start that thread) I decided to strip off the cross member.

The front end design on these mk3s is far superior to say the corrado with its metal rad support that rots away (mine has not fortunately) and everything on the mk3 is mostly plastic.

Ordered a new PAS solid pipe as mine was rotten. I am a boo boo on removing the subframe bushes - I cut the washers (PN1H0199175A) and later found they are obsolete. A friendly machinist in a local car club is making me up 4x new ones - phew!

Engine bay is pretty dusty, does need a good clean before front end goes back on.

20220411_092230.jpg

Parts for the blasting and powdercoater. Some are mk2. The springs are eibach springs for the mk3.
    277951708_396967871929594_507808529539849780_n.jpg
    277958785_1003759876913999_3013246985489446455_n.jpg

I hope to take off the rear beam this week but even though the brake fittings were covered in grease they are still rusty so am not looking forward to it. I want to avoid having to re-make too many brake lines as they lines them selves are nice. I hope Mapp heat is my friend.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  12. MJA

Spent some time on mk3 ( and mk2) over the weekend. Decided since I was sending lots of parts of for powdercoating that I would do the rear beam on mk3. I was avoiding it as it's just money money when you tot up all the parts but I am glad I did in end.

Whilst the beam itself was OK all the bolts were a real stuggle. Compare and contrast the mk2 beam I took off the other week, stub axles were VW and it did not look as though the beam on the mk2 had over been off - the mk3 was a really difficult experience. My theory is low mile cars that have just sat around are the worst for seized bolts vs a higher mile car that has been used. Perhaps the salt just sits and fester.

After many Irwin's and snapped bolts later I got it off

Rear beam mk3.jpg
    progress ...jpg

mk3 beam wip.jpg

Still got to drill out the bushes and one sides axle bolt is being difficult and requires a bigger irwin.

I've got a pretty decent ugga dugga gun and it would not shift the axle bolts or stub axle bolts. The stub axle bolts required big extension bars until the very end of the thread.

Managed to save 1 brake line but had to cut the ones from under the car. I did it as close to the fitting as I could and am hoping I can de-bur and reflare - someone tell me if that is really bad idea. Lines are nice and have been coated in grease (cleaned that off) so was hoping to save.

erreesse likes this.
  13. MJA

Mental- original fuel filter dated 1996. Whats interval on these?

Update on car - dropped everything off at the powdercoaters last week.

I need to make a decision- do I go easy life and install powerflex bushes or do I go rubber. Decisions decisions.

Attached Files:

14. MJA

Lost motivation on the car earlier this year but have got back to it recently. All the chassis stuff, brake lines, body kit back on and ready to put back on the floor soon.

I did the cambelt today. It was a job I have been avoiding but after everything else I have done it was pretty easy. Had a bit of confusion on the crank pulley moving as I tried to set tension on the non tensioner side and fit over the cam pulley but watched a few videos and worked out the technique in the end.

What I did find surprising is that I think the cambelt and tensioner were original factory items. The fuel filter was date stamped 1996 as well so maybe I should not be surprised! It has lots of history for annual oil changes etc but from an independent rather than vw.
    20221205_141132.jpg 20221205_141148.jpg 20221205_141204.jpg 20221205_141210.jpg 20221205_141301.jpg

If it is original then I'm impressed it lasted 27 years and 78k.

Now waiting on some plastic cooling system parts but edging closer to the MOT stage [:D]

erreesse likes this.
  15. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hmm, I finally got around to fitting rear disc brakes to my Vento recently, and broke three of the four stub axle bolts on the right side, using a breaker bar (pun not intended). I took it this was due to not properly tightening them when fitting the re-furbed axle two years ago, i.e. the weight of the car had moved the stub slightly re. the axle, and locked the bolts in place. The car was on an axle stand in the street for a few days while I tackled the broken-off bolts.

MJA likes this.
  16. MJA

I snapped a few across mk2 and mk3 axles as did both at the same time. The bolts are a very tight fit to the thread so I don't think it can be helped to snap, even with heat.

The other thought is the powdercoat might have worn off making the bolts loose?

17. MJA

Forgot to update the various pics I had from the chassis/brake work. Fuel tank was also replaced as the metal part behind the fuel cap was corroded. New tank was cleaned out and all new fuel pipes installed. 20220819_163324.jpg 20220823_212219.jpg 20220819_150104-1.jpg 20220823_200904.jpg

I went for polybushes in the rear axle, r32 rubber in the rear wishbones and poly at front wishbone. Normal rubber on the 4x cross member.

Hopefully won't regret those decisions.

New brake lines. I sold the Recaros to free up some cash.

Miltek cat back also installed but no pics yet.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    erreesse and afbiker02 like this.
  18. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

The end facings of the axle didn't have any coating on. I may be exaggerating with the term re-furb; it's an axle from a 16v, which I fitted with new bushes and then painted, before fitting it to a saloon, keeping the drum brakes at first. Once I'd managed to rescue the three obstructed bolt holes, the stub and backplate could move slightly with only the remaining bolt in place, and after moving them back and forth for a while the bolt loosened easily.

19. caddyboet

caddyboet Paid Member Paid Member

Great thread so far. Following. :thumbup:

MJA likes this.
  20. MJA

Progress continues (I have built a 12.5m x 4m timber garage over Christmas and in New Year + worked full time with some leave and only spent time on this car when I am waiting for materials)

Where am I now with it? So all the chassis stuff is done and I've gone over it torquing it to the specs. Miltek Exhaust is fitted. I have focused on the engine - it's 78k with lots of oil change history but nothing on the cambelt nor anything else. I doubt it has ever had anything other than oil changes etc.

It had some oil leaks from the rocker gasket so I replaced that and refreshed the plastic coolant parts + inlet gaskets. New waterpump, belts and also made sure I had the correct types of clamps on the waterpipes. Also bought a new PAS hard pipe under the crossmember + new rad.

I am just waiting on a rad fan switch as bought a 3 pin for this but it seems it needs something else. I was desparate to see if it would fire up as have have replaced the fuel lines and it hasn't run in a year so I cranked it for 30 seconds without spark and then the video below is the first start. I had expected to chase some issues but it just fired into life so that was pretty lucky.

I do have someone in the background interested in either this car or my Corrado. The crux of it is if I want to restore my mk2 16v the way I want it with professional fabrication and body then something has to go. My garage is really only big enough for 2 cars. I do sometimes think about moving the mk2 on and just settling with the Corrado and mk3 and have less expense and time spent on cars until I am ready for my next project.

318117929_1592907371159872_1358896537845227882_n.jpg

dodgy likes this.