Thermostat missing Polo 16V

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by macp, Mar 10, 2013.

1. macp New Member

So I noticed the temp guage was not registering anything so today I decided to change the thermostat. I noted there was no thermostat fitted which I couldnt figure out so I fitted the new one. I noted the guage was beginning to register so thought ok that was the problem. Just been out in it and I notice the temp rising towards 110 and still climbing slowly. I got home and looked at the oil cap which was showing some mayonnaise but I noticed that when I bought it and put it down to the low miles (58,000) and very little usage over the last 4yrs. I am now thinking its the headgasket and the stat was taken out to disguise it. What do you think ?

2. macp New Member

Doh [:$]

Schoolboy error took it all apart and yes you guessed it the stat had broken through the bridge inside the thermostat cover. Replaced the cover took it for a long drive and all seems well. Can only assume the previous owner had the same problem and either could not see what the problem was or saw the problem and had no new cover so just removed the stat and left it like that ?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013