This morning :'( RIP Jetta

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by WillG, May 19, 2014.

1. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I got rear ended in traffic this morning by a fellow VW driver into an Audi! Just had an eleven hour day after the crash and just spent 2 hours in A&E.

I've owned this car for over 9 years now and feeling quite annoyed. The boot itself is bent in the middle and no longer seals, I haven't had time to open it to check the chassis legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Gutted for you mate :( :cry:

Is it fixable ?

3. Stevepd Forum Member

See every Jetta is really wanting to be a Golf:p. Seriously annoying though any excuses from the driver?

4. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Without finding another jetta that I can steal the back plate from and a tailgate I don't know yet. I've got to assess the damage from inside possibly tomorrow.

I was actually quite calm about the whole thing, apart from being absolutely gutted. We just all exchanged details, I checked my rad wasn't leaking and we went on our unmerry ways.

I doubt I'll find a good condition Jetta rear bumper without paying a stupid amount either though.

5. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

What a shame :(

Its definately worth some time with a lump hammer and block of wood on the backpanel. Is the matt paint or vinyl?

6. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Yeah its just paint.

Just got off the phone with the insurance, courtesy car should be here within 2 hours and a possibly settlement cost today too...

They also said that they can't allow me to keep the car as it will most likely have chassis damage. I queried this as my girlfriend's scirocco has rear chassis leg damage from being rear-ended 4 years ago and is still on the road.

So I'm trying to find similar cars on autotrader etc - 1 Jetta on the whole of autotrader and its 1750 for a 1600 GX.

Or make a list of all the things to take off it before they come to take it away...

7. Collie Forum Junkie

do not let them take the car it is yours. you are entitled to keep it surely, how can a stamp licking office dweller tell if its got chassis damage down the phone

8. Mjj4 Forum Member

So sorry to see this!! you must be gutted! Whatever you do, don't let them take the car. By law you are entitled to retain Cat C and D cars and simply recieve slightly less payout (around 10%). Don't say to the insurance company that you want to buy it back say you are keeping it and want the salvage value deducted from the settlement.

My Mk4 was written off and the chassis leg bent and whole chassis twisted, but because it's not wrong to use a jig to straighten a car I got the insurance from a cat B to cat C write off on the grounds that it can be safely repaired just at a great cost which is my choice to make not theirs.

Good luck