Tight Gearbox?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by GTi69, Oct 28, 2003.

1. GTi69 Forum Member

I recently thought my 91 8v front brakes were on slightly, if i pulled off slowly and let put the clutch down (or in neutral) the car would stop as if i had put my foot on the brakes. It also felt quite sluggish. At the weekend i was changing my front discs and pads, i tried to push the car with no discs and pads on (with the wheels on of course ;) ) and the car was hard to push and again stopped as if the brakes were on!

The back brakes are definitely not on as the wheels spin freely, a friend suggested it could be a tight gearbox, is he full of sh*te?

Please help, it driving me mad and i may just set fire to it if anything else goes wrong [:^(]

2. jc.. Forum Member

I love a nice tight box! [:D]

3. GTi69 Forum Member

I do too matey ;) Just not on my car!

4. GTi69 Forum Member

Surely somebody must be able to help :)

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Can't be a tight gearbox unless you are trying to push the car while it's in gear, in which case, it won't go far anyway tight or otherwise.

I'd suggest that if you are very sure it isn't the brakes (it usually is the rear callipers not returning after you apply the brakes) then the hubs or cv joints need some serious greasing!

As I say, I'd check the rear calipers first as that's a well known problem! Good luck! :)

6. GTi69 Forum Member

I jacked the back end up and span the wheels, the span absolutely fine!
    I had to replace a caliper a few months ago because it was stuck on, that is why i immediately thought brakes as it feels like the same symptoms.

The bearings (front and back) are only a week old too so i know it isn't those!

I will give the C.V. joints a good greasing and see if that cures it, when you say hubs, what would i grease on the hub?

Thanks

7. jc.. Forum Member

clutch cable not disengaging the clutch?
    Had an old cavalier that would creep if in gear with clutch depressed.

Tighten the cable up or get the clutch checked

8. GTi69 Forum Member

The clutch is less than a month old, i have spent a fortune on it lately trying to get it up to scratch. As far as i know it had a new clutch cable whilst it was being installed cos the old one was buggered!

Thanks