Timing Belt intervals.....

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by SiVWW, Nov 14, 2003.

1. SiVWW Forum Member

At what mileage do ya need to change the timing belts in a 110 Tdi and a 115 PD ?

My friend has just been told its 40,000, and the stealer is looking 285 for doing it!!!!

I thought it was 60,000????

Any help with this one guys... before she gets ripped off this savvy!!!!

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

I'd do it at 40k just to be safe :)

3. edc1 Forum Member

It is 60k for some petrol engines, but again I'd rather 40k as per the Haynes manual. 285 seems like a lot. As an example a SEAT dealer wanted 130 + parts + VAT for a timing belt change. I bought belt and tensioner myself and had it fitted for 60 (not a diesel I know).

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

60k, the old girl wants me to change hers now.(passat TDi) The way she drives, it'll last 120k......

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

285, a mere drop in the ocean.

Audi want 400 to do the cambelt on my A3!!!! :o :o

Needless to say, I'll be doing it myself, but at 100,000 mile intervals, it ain't too bad :thumbup:

6. edc1 Forum Member

You're not seriously going to leave it till 100k tho are you? :o

7. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Your right. Its on 85,000 at the mo and I'm going to do it within the next month or so.

8. uumode New Member

According to my service schedule booklet there is no specifics to changing the belt, only checking it.

Also this article also suggest that cambelts don't need to be changed anymore (just visually checked at intervals)
    Cambelt site

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

LOL, and when the timing belt is slapping off the tensioner because its running on the bumper youd leave it?? [:s] ;)

Its advised to check it regularly, but they still need changing.

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Just read about the 3rd gen ContiTech timing belts and they do sound impressive.

But they are yet to be implemented really.

11. vrbanana Forum Junkie

If its done 85k then your on borrowed time, starting to lose count of the number of 20v heads Ive rebuilt or had to replace. Sometimes they break the cam caps and the cams. Lowest one so far was at 43k + always remove and inspect water pump impeller
    The problem is that depending on the type of tensioner it runs out of tension and allows the belt to run excessively slack and eventually starts to peel the teeth from the belt, its not so bad if the tension is checked on a service

Service interval for most popular 1.8t engine codes is 74.5k which I think is a little generous

Edited by: motorhead

12. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

every ones talking about leaving it, which is ok for people that can fix the damage, but for those who can't, rebuilding a cyc head will be little scary/expensive!

Better to change early, than late!

From what I've found, 80% of the time when a cars come in with a snapped belt, it's been one of the tensioners/jocky wheels that has seized/bearings have fallen out :o

At least find out whats needed, in the way of special timing tools, and change all the parts that can be!

Note : a lot of the modern cars ('92-) need more time to do than the old H block ;)

13. uumode New Member

Yeah the Contitech belts sound impressive, I thought latest VWs use the Contitech belts?:

"Examples from the VW corporation demonstrate that timing belts can indeed last so long in actual use: on the 1.0 to 1.6 l gasoline engines on the Lupo, Polo, Golf and comparable models of the Skoda and Seat brands, the maintenance schedule no longer specifies an interval for belt replacement - a lifetime of use for the benefit and safety of the drivers.

..The requirements placed upon timing belts are becoming ever more demanding. But modern materials make the belts more reliable: where a timing belt might have managed to last 10 hours on ContiTech's high-performance test benches several years ago, it can now reach 500 hours thanks to high-quality tension members in the timing belt. Glass cord tension members manufactured by just a few specialized companies in the world and a special HNBR rubber compound make operating temperatures between - 40 and + 150 C possible and provide a long service life. Test vehicles equipped with the CONTI HSN-POWER, a third generation timing belt, have easily reached 300,000 kilometers without a belt change."

14. vw mech New Member

Hi, up to model year 2000 the interval is 40000. after that its 60000.i did one yesterday!